Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: defag not working, not sure what to do  (Read 2011 times)

mwhite

defag not working, not sure what to do
« on: May 11, 2006, 10:00:43 AM »
I'm not sure what to do with it, I went to clean the disk and defrag, when it gets stuck and tells me to scandisk, whcih I do. I reboot and try again and once agin it tells me to scandisk. I don't know what i did wrong, but I have seemed to have lost everything. The only way I get anything on the screen is to hit crtl, alt, delete. if someone could please help me I'll be very thankful. I really need to it up in running at home so I won't get in trouble for using the one at work.Once again thank you for any help you can assist with.

GX1_Man

Re: defag not working, not sure what to do
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 05:29:50 PM »
What happened prior to this? What else is not working correcctly? What spyware/adware/virus programs are being used regularly?

JessicaB

Re: defag not working, not sure what to do
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 09:49:00 PM »
Don't know what system your on or what you have lost but...

OK, if I were you. You need to scan disk first. If that stalls, you have issues, just keep restarting. If that doesnt work, try and get onto your desktop (cancel scan disk), perform a spybot check (great ones at download.com - spybot search and destroy for a basic app, if you need more thorough checks come back for more info.).

Restart your system. Try scan disk again. If that works, great...

Moving on to defrag... best way is, ctrl alt dlt, shut down everything apart from what it takes to keep your system running, it would help if I knew what windows you were using but generally keep open Explorer and Systray and your fine, shut everything else down, don't have ANY internet programmes running in the background especially. Just don't touch the bugger while it'd defragging... (do you even need to defrag???)