Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My sound keeps on randomly muting all..what to do?  (Read 2549 times)

hellrazer4362

My sound keeps on randomly muting all..what to do?
« on: May 10, 2006, 04:01:32 PM »
Hey, I'm new to this, and i have a question..

Lately, my sound keeps on muting all in the "volume" control in the taskbar. What may be the problem?

I have Windows 2000 Professional... and i have no idea what other things you might need.  I think I have onboard sound.  I  know, I'm a little vauge, but I'm new to the computer world. If you need any other specs about my PC, just tell me how to get the info.

Jusy email me or post on this forum

Any help is appreciated.. thanks

-Karl

homer

Expert
    Re: My sound keeps on randomly muting all..what to
    « Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 06:19:00 PM »
    hey karl. i gotta couple of questions...

1. does it mute the volume at random intervals?
    2. does it mute the volume on a certain file? (movie, music.etc.)
    3.can u unmute it?
    4.and will it mute itself again even after u unmuted it?

P.S.

START>PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>SYSTEMS TOOLS>SYSTEM INFORMATION

thats how u find the specs of ur computer. ;)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 02:14:17 AM »
    Do you have a fancy keyboard with multimedia keys?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

hellrazer4362

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 07:57:27 AM »
    Homer-
    1. It seems to mute at random times, when i'm online i check the taskbar, and yes it does mute at random intervals.
    2. No, it does for pretty much every file, When I'm on a game it seems to stay muted or not, it doesnt go back and fourth as often.
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    oh, and thanks for the P.S. if you need any certian info, i now know where to get it  :)

-robpomeroy
    No, i have a pretty basic compaq keyboard...It serves the purpose..although i DO have a wireless mouse

thanks for the concern

homer

Expert
      « Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 08:05:29 PM »
      hmm... with all this new info my best bet would be a virus, software issue, or driver issue. its not ur motherboard cause it wouldnt be muting itself, it just plain wouldnt work :(. i also really doubt its a virus, but hey, it doenst hurt to check  :)

here are some solutions...

1. do a virus scan
      2. do a spyware scan
      3. download and run ccleaner ( cleans up garbage, u might also want to run the registry cleaner also) u can download ccleaner from here http://www.ccleaner.com/
      4. download and run hijack this and post a log here (download hijack this from here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
      5. if u still have ur cd that came w/ ur motherboard, reinstall the onboard sound card driver
      6. if not, go to ur motherboard manufacturers website and download their latest onboard sound card driver.

this is listed in priority. ( start from the top and work ur way down, testing each step to see if it fixed the problem)