Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Sound in Windows XP Home w/ SP2  (Read 2475 times)

old_salt

No Sound in Windows XP Home w/ SP2
« on: May 12, 2006, 01:27:18 PM »
For over six months now, I've been without sound on my desktop, running Windows XP Home, with SP2.  All updates are current.

Sound is mobo SoundMax, on a Gateway, 1.4 MHz, with 384 MB RAM.

Speakers are fine, and there are no indications of any problems, except that no sound comes from the speakers.

Here's what I've tried : Updating the drivers; uninstalling all software that uses any sound (I don't use anything remarkable - just Finale NotePad, and GuitarCoach); I'm not a gamer, so there's nothing there; rolling back SP2; and installing an external USB sound device.  I've also tried unistalling the devices, and re-booting, thinking PNP would pick it up, but it didn't.

When I go to Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices Properties -> Audio; the only playback device that is available is Line #n Modem Playback (or something like that).  Even when I had the USB external sound installed, it wasn't an available choice for sound playback.  SoundMax Digital Audio should be there, but it isn't.  It is available as a choice in other device properties.  Disabling the Half Duplex device, gives me no playback options whatsoever.

Short of rebuilding the hard drive, isn't there something else I can do to get my sound back?  All that I have done, tells me in my gut, that a setting is wrong - but where?  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Old Salt

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: No Sound in Windows XP Home w/ SP2
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 02:15:50 PM »
With the Soundmax device drivers installed, what appears in the device manager?  Right-click My Computer-->Properties-->Hardware.  Device manager-->Sound video and game controllers - what is listed in that section?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 02:16:11 PM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

old_salt

Re: No Sound in Windows XP Home w/ SP2
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 01:02:52 AM »
Devices are - Audio and Video Codecs, Legacy Video Capture devices, SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio, and Unimodem Half Duplex Audio Device.