Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE window name reduced to first letter only  (Read 2987 times)

Voget

IE window name reduced to first letter only
« on: May 14, 2006, 11:49:51 AM »
The Internet Explorer windows icon in the bottom tray that shows the name of each IE window I have open has suddenly decided to show me just the first letter of each window.  This happened after I installed Norton Internet Security 2006 last night. I uninstalled NIS, but still have the problem. Can someone provide an answer?  Symantec couldn't:-? :-?  Thanks!

GX1_Man

Re: IE window name reduced to first letter only
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 01:08:36 PM »
Another Norton success story.  ::)

Try the full uninstall as directed on the Symantec site. Their virus is hard to remove!

If that doesn't fix it after a reboot, then you may want to try a system restore to a time before this wonderful software addition to see if that will correct it.

Are you sure your system is clean? What protection are you using other than Norton?

Voget

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 06:27:58 PM »
Thanks for the response.  :)  I actually found a fix - inadvertently.  Somehow my nervous fingers had generated 2 Yahoo toolbars.  I uninstalled both of them and lo and behold the IE window names reappeared!  Now I have to reinstall NIS.  It sounds like you're not much of a Symantec fan - I don't disagree, their service sucks and I love it when their own Uninstall can't uninstall previous version of their own programs.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 06:39:27 PM »
I am also definitely not a fan of add on toolbars - any of them!  ;)