Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 1 of 3 errors recieved when asked to 'explore'  (Read 10182 times)

rubysoho

1 of 3 errors recieved when asked to 'explore'
« on: August 02, 2004, 05:12:40 PM »

Hi....I am using an HP Pavilion PC with Windows ME. Recently I have been experiencing MAJOR problems with my PC. When I try to 'explore' a folder on my desktop or any folder for that matter, I recieve one of 5 error messages. messages like
"Explorer has caused an error in SHELL32.DLL. Explorer will now close."
"Explorer has caused an error in SHDOCVW.DLL. Explorer will now close."
and
"Explorer has caused an error in <unknown.> Explorer will now close."
I would type up all five, but last time I tried to do that my computer freaked out and closed my internet explorer and wouldn't open it again. Rarely, the
folder opens and everything works, but this is rare. I have run a virus scan several times, and it always comes up with nothing. WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY COMPUTER?!?! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.....thank you!!

merlin_2

Re: 1 of 3 errors recieved when asked to 'explore'
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 01:52:13 AM »
try another browser you are using ie6 yes..

j_t_r

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 03:18:30 AM »
Hi!, i hard a problem similar to that and i have tried couple of things but still it didn't work. Did you try to repair you internet explorer, by going to your control panel, Add and remove programs: click on the internet explorer and click again Add/remove and it should prompt you with other window and choose repaire internet explorer. That might not work, but it is worth trying and another thing you could do is to edit you registry,( no reccommended) for newbie. Another thing if that dont work you might want to try to detelete history and temporary..... you must do this in dos by using disk to boot up in dos and then type:- "smartdrv" and then type "deltree history" and then "deltree tempor~1" without quotes and then after this reboot your computer. If that didn't work you might want to surf on the net some other people might have the same problem.

here is usefull site: worth visiting
http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/ershel32.htm

PS. Let us know

rubysoho

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 06:01:27 PM »
Hey......well I was gonna try the Internet Explorer repair thing....but in the add/remove programs thing internet explorer isnt listed....so maybe I should download it and re install it? I also deleted my history and temp internet files, but it doesnt seem to have done anything...

rubysoho

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 06:02:59 PM »
Well I just reinstalled my Internet Explorer.....no luck....i'd also like to clarify (just if somebody doesnt get it) that I have no problem viewing INTERNET stuff, just I can't open my computer or my documents or any folders like that.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 06:45:31 PM by rubysoho »

Burly

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 07:54:14 PM »
I have the same problem. I can view the internet, I cannot open My Computer or My Documents. My problems are with Explorer not internet explorer.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 12:21:00 AM »
do you norton anti-virus program on your pc...rubysoho.........ok can you locate the c:\windows:\options\cab folder      in that folder you will find an icon called scanreg......next to it is one called setup click this...and it will re-install your system without you losing anything...and dump kazza?>http://www.mytechsupport.ca/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4482