Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Card reader on printer  (Read 2258 times)

Davva

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Card reader on printer
    « on: July 13, 2006, 02:22:27 AM »
    Hi all.

I'm trying to share the card reader on my printer with my home network but it's not working.

I have a DSL modem which is connected to an ethernet hub.  I have my PC and my wifes PC connected to the hub.

I have a HP PSC 2210 USB printer connected to my PC and I have shared it so that my wife can print things through that printer.  That works just fine.

The problem I am having is that I want my wife to be able to use the card reader facility on the printer.  There are 4 card slot on the printer but she only wants to use one.  I have shared it and I can see it as E:\ on my PC but she cant see it.

How do I set things up so she can use the slot?

Thanks in advance

Davva

royphil345

Re: Card reader on printer
    « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 02:34:55 AM »
    Because there is some software involved in getting the 1st computer to see the card as a drive (at least on my Canon)... You may not be able to share it.

Since she would have to go to where the printer is to insert a card anyway... Couldn't she easily copy and paste the contents of the card to a shared folder on your computer? Or install an inexpensive card reader on her computer?
    « Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 03:03:28 AM by royphil345 »

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
      « Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 04:05:33 AM »
      Have you Ever Connect your Wifes computer to a shared folder on your Computer Before , if not you may not have file sharing fully enabled on both computers

on you wife comp go to the run box in the start menu and type

\\Yourcomptername\

Then it should connect to your computer and it may ask for your user name and password , put them in and click OK, you should then see all the shared files on the computer, or it will give you an Error or just not work

if it doesn't work you need to fix the File sharing settings on the Computers
      Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
        « Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 04:15:31 AM »
        You may want to Turn on Simple File Sharing, i believe this removes the Password Prompt

You can find this setting on the View tab in folder options in Control panel.
        Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

Davva

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 11:30:30 AM »
          I haven't actually shared a folder over the network but the printer is shared and works fine.  I was hoping that the card readers on the printer would be just as easy.  

I have shared the drive and I'm sure this will work so I'll get her to try it again.  

Thanks for all the input.

Davva