Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WHAT WOULD BE THE PARTATION SIZE?  (Read 4029 times)

sanjaybijapur

Topic Starter

Beginner

WHAT WOULD BE THE PARTATION SIZE?
    « on: May 15, 2006, 02:25:14 AM »
    HAI.

in my XP system [Intel p3 455MHz,128Mb RAM]  I kept only 5GB  free space in HDD for installing the Redhat Linux 9.0,

What is the exact size I have to make for installing the Linux server?

:-?
    « Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 02:26:46 AM by sanjaybijapur »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: WHAT WOULD BE THE PARTATION SIZE?
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 02:38:03 AM »
    That's the $64,000,000 question!  It depends entirely on what you want to do with your Linux installation.  If you want a full GUI desktop install, that's going to take up 2-4GB on its own.  Because there's so much free software available with a typical Linux distribution, it's fairly easy to install 10GB of software - before you've even started to put any data on the system.  Incidentally, you need at least 2 partitions for every Linux install - one for the swap file (virtual memory).  In your case, that partition should probably be around 256MB-400MB.

Linux is typically not so demanding on a system as Windows, but it does like memory - RAM and hard drive space.
    « Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 02:39:09 AM by robpomeroy »
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Dead_reckon

Re: WHAT WOULD BE THE PARTATION SIZE?
    « Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 03:06:59 PM »
    i used a 10 gig partition for my linux, i dont want much out of linux... however, i wont say what i do want out of it... linux runs fine on a 10 gig partition if you dont want to install alot of stuff, would have made the partition bigger, but i only have an 80 gig hard drive in this "budget" pc my dad built, so i was limited in what space i could use, right now i only have 21 gigs free in windows, was 30 somthin before linux and a few installs on windows... ill be glad when i build my new system this summer