Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer appears to be starting up a program  (Read 1937 times)

scootwhen

Computer appears to be starting up a program
« on: May 15, 2006, 02:44:46 AM »
I have a Dell 600m inspiron notebook purchased in January of 2004.  It has 512 MB or RAM and a 55 GB capacity.  I am running Windows XP with service pack 2.

I have done the entire software scan that is recommended here at Computer Hope to check for spyware.  What's more, I completely wiped my hard drive and reinstalled my system.  However, sometimes when my computer is just sitting idle it makes sounds as if it is starting up a new program.  I have also been having problems with burning cd's, attaching a portable hard drive, and connecting to the internet.  Once my computer has been started up, I can no longer connect my internet cable, or my portable hard drive.  If they are connected before the computer starts up, they usually work allright.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
willie

GX1_Man

Re: Computer appears to be starting up a program
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 04:24:45 AM »
[quote}it sounds like it is starting a new program[/quote]

Look in Task Manager (Ctl+Alt+Del) to see what all is running. You can also run Hijack THis and zip up the log file to post here. You may have hardware troubles as well, but let's check that first.