Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can a 3 1/2" non-formatted disk be opened?  (Read 2902 times)

sunnyone

Can a 3 1/2" non-formatted disk be opened?
« on: May 16, 2006, 11:24:50 AM »
Greetings,

I copied some information to a 3 1/2" disk on one computer. I am now at another computer and am trying to open it. There is an error message that appears that the disk has not been formatted. I guess I did not format the disk before I copied the information over.

Is there a way for me to open this non-formatted disk? - I desperately need the files off of it. It appears that if I choose to 'format it now' I will loose all the information currently on the disk.

Regards,

sunnyone
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 11:26:39 AM by sunnyone »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Can a 3 1/2" non-formatted disk be opened?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 12:16:37 PM »
You wouldn't have been able to copy anything to the disk if it hadn't already been formatted.  So something has gone wrong during or after the copying.  You either have a faulty floppy disk, or one of your drives is faulty.  It might be as simple as them needing a clean, but it has been along time since I've seen any floppy drive cleaners, with the format becoming more and more obsolete.  If you can get hold of some, try that first.

I presume you still have the original data somewhere?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

sunnyone

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 12:34:33 PM »
Thank you. Not sure how long it's been since this floppy has been used...so I am guessing a cleaning is a good route. Yes, I have the original data, but it's on a computer 1/2 hr. drive from me.

Thank you so much for your response. I'll try a little cleaning and then get in the car and hope another copy of the data works on this dinosaur of a machine! Thanks again...what a great site.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 02:40:48 PM »
No problem!  Incidentally, if I'm ever forced to use floppies to transport something, I always use three...  For all three to malfunction would be seriously bad luck, right?  :)
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

jackpkmn

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 02:51:31 PM »
True then I have really bad luck, well anyway your floppy is bad. I work with floppy disks all the time and encounter this problem with disks that have been excposed to high magnetic radiation for a long period of time. It reshapes and difforms the sectors of the disk makeing it possible for the computer to write on the disk but as soon as the head is removed the sectors return to thier deformed shape. This can be caused by an number of things includeing but not limeted to: Sitting out in the sun to long, siting ontop of or under a monitor, sitting next to an electric drier(guilty), being left near a TV or taken unprotected near a powerplant. Also something as simple as the transformer outside your house blows up will do it. WARNING! You canot simply format a disk on a mac then use it in a PC if this is the case I will provide a utility that will allow such a thing to happen.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 03:55:14 PM »
There also can be issues with a floppy formatted on a Winn98 machine not being readable onn XP machines, due to differences in the formatting processes in the OS. Is this the case with the floppy in question?

sunnyone

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 11:08:59 PM »
Thanks for the information everyone. It's PC to a PC. Need to check if the 'from' computer is XP or 98 - mine is XP - this could be the problem if it is 98.

Tomorrow I go to get the data and will try again. If I have no more trouble, I will know it was the disk. If I still have trouble, I'll be back online for help!

Regards,

sunnyone

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 04:02:29 PM »
If so, take an XP formatted floppy and copy the data to it on the 98 machine. No problems going this way that I am aware of.  ;)