Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing HDD Into 6 Year OLd PC?!?!?!  (Read 3235 times)

csem-it

Installing HDD Into 6 Year OLd PC?!?!?!
« on: May 08, 2006, 03:57:08 PM »
OK, I have recently been given the task of intalling a new seagate IDE hard drive into an old 500MHz machine.

I don't know what motherboard it's running, and I am having dificulty istalling a new HDD to replace the old one.

The old hard drive was a 7 Gig IDE drive.

The new one is 80gig, but still IDE.

The problem I am having is that when I go into bios to use the 'Detect Hard Drive' function, it lock's up. I just get 'Detecting Hard Drive' message for days.

Does anyone know of any settings I need to sort out to get the *censored* thing to work?

I know its vauge but if you can think of anything that I can do to help make things more spacific, just ask me to do it and I will try my best.

Any help would be amazing!

Thanks, Chris

jackpkmn

Re: Installing HDD Into 6 Year OLd PC?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 04:30:52 PM »
Try resseting the CMOS settings. The try redetecting your drive. It is aslo possible to have mis terminated the new drive. New drives often come with the Cable select termination and older computers dont support it. If your CD is set to Slave on the same cable and the Drive is set to Cable select it aint gona work. *censored* its hard to type with a broken finger.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 04:33:38 PM »
Make sure the jumpers are set correctly (like to match the one being replaced). My last Seagate came set for Cable Select (CS) as the default.

It is possible that the old computer has a BIOS limitation that will not allow you to use the full drive. In that case, use the overlay software software from Seagate that came with the drive.

csem-it

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 03:04:58 AM »
The drive didn't come with any software at all. What can I do?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 03:35:17 AM »
Use something like SiSoft Sandra (free) to determine your motherboard make and model.  Then look on the motherboard vendor's web site for a BIOS upgrade.  A HD limit (typically 30GB) may have been fixed.

Be careful about the BIOS upgrade, since if you get it wrong, you will render your motherboard useless.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

rat

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 09:26:48 AM »
Are U replacing the Old HD or adding to it ????... Master/slave MIGHT have something to do with prob...afterall ( only 6 Years old !!!...but it seems a Small cap for so young !!!! doesent it ????? )...What Operating system do U have Plug n play should kick in ????...If Im wrong guys sorry...( Just tryin to help !!!)....cheers!!!

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 10:48:49 AM »
The drive didn't come with any software at all. What can I do?
Visit Seagate's website; plenty of info there and downloadable software tools.  Re: jumper settings: ATA Jumper Settings

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 04:07:16 PM »
If you can do it without a software overlay that is always preferable.  ;)