Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unable to back-up BIOS  (Read 3743 times)

anthonyjs2005

unable to back-up BIOS
« on: May 19, 2006, 08:39:25 PM »
Hi guys. I am trying to back up the BIOS of asus a8n 32-sli deluxe w/ath.fx60 cpu. My created floppy along with added afudos.exe file reads my current BIOS up to @84% then goes into error with"cannot write to disk" The floppy is NOT write protected. What did I do?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: unable to back-up BIOS
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 08:58:42 PM »
Is the floppy empty and formatted?  Is it a high density floppy (denoted by the HD symbol on one corner and by having two square holes - one for write-protect, one to indicate the higher 1.44MB capacity)?  Do you have another floppy you can try?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

infoseeker

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 01:16:19 AM »
check also your floppy drive

anthonyjs2005

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 04:41:26 AM »
Hi. The floppy I am trying to use are double sided, double density. I formatted and created boot disk and copied afudos file from MB support disk as per asus user manual. When its loaded into drive, it gives the prompt "A:\>". I then type in command "afudos /oOLDBIOS1.rom" and <ENTER>.Machine then proceeds to read BIOS (up to 74%) and then reports error : cannot write to disk.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 06:01:53 AM »
Double sided disks only hold 720K. High density hold 1.44 meg.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 06:18:55 AM »
(In other words, you probably need a double-side high density disk - it appears that you are running out of space on the disk.  The higher capacity disk will be fine.  See my message above re how to identify such a disk.)
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

anthonyjs2005

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 08:10:31 AM »
disk is 1.44MB/2HD. I wonder if I simply format another disk and put it in while the machine is reading would it copy to it?

anthonyjs2005

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 11:40:30 AM »
 ;D Well, the answer is a resounding YES!!! What I ended up doing was to boot the machine with the ms/dos disk which I created and at the A:\ > prompt , I  typed in the command and put a quick formatted disk to which was added the unzipped file (afudos.exe) which I got from the ASUS cite. The machine read and copied the BIOS to that second disk. Problem solved. Thanks again guys! ;)