Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Difference in Routers  (Read 2295 times)

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Difference in Routers
« on: May 23, 2006, 07:18:53 PM »
Hi guys, I'm going to the store this weekend to pick up one of these two routers to start my own home network... For some reason, these two seem different, but I don't know what makes them different... Anyone know? Please answer ASAP as I will need to get these before the rebate goes and before they run out of items! Here are the routers: http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=311811&pfp=srch1 and http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=307239&pfp=srch1 ... The only difference that I can see is that one is called a Media Router and one is a Firewall Router... As long as I can make a home network on it, I'll take it... Anyone know what's up here?

Flame
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 07:19:46 PM by flame »

GX1_Man

Re: Difference in Routers
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 08:11:58 PM »
The cheaper one would work just fine.  ;)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 10:20:24 PM »
    Flame...... They will both do the job ....however the 2nd one is capable of more than the first one ....... Check out the technical specs and you will see the differance.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 05:59:07 AM »
    The biggest difference (other than the price) appears to be that the cheaper one doesn't offer 152 bit WEP (only goes up to 128 bit).  The cheaper one however appears to have some advantages and is at a bigger discount from the MRP.  Choice is yours.  As GX1_Man says, either will do the job - the more expensive one would be a little more secure.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 11:58:04 AM »
    Well, dl65, the only difference I see is the encryption like Rob pointed out... I kind of liked the idea of being able to plug in external devices to allow remote storage and access... I guess the seocnd router doesn't have that? I'm pretty torn...

Flame

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 12:29:21 PM »
    After comparing the price difference after the rebates, it looks like the first router is a better deal... The second one will be $19 more in the end, and with less features. Better security yes, but I don't think it'll be much of a problem. They're just sold out of the first router though, so hopefully I'll get it by the time they close the deal.

Flame