Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Disk become Read-only  (Read 2208 times)

terrytoh

Hard Disk become Read-only
« on: May 21, 2006, 11:03:16 PM »
I need urgent help to fix my hard disk. After looking deeply into the problem, I found that my hard disk now only able to read the data off the partitions, but would not write any data to the disk. When I boot up my Windows XP, it just load for a while and freeze there, using check disk won't work as it refuse to scan. I couldn't even clear the MBR or reformat the partitions, not to say reinstall Windows. I tested the memory and it is not  memory problem. I have no idea what is the problem, can anyone help?  :-/

infoseeker

Re: Hard Disk become Read-only
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 01:00:24 AM »
have you try in "SAFMODE"?
if so, what happen?

terrytoh

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 01:39:16 AM »
Safe mode won't help as it freeze half-way during loading. Just to give a bit of information about my system:
My computer is a notebook
Windows XP Home Edition SP2
256MB + 512MB memory, 16MB used for video
My hard disk is separated into 2 partitions, no data can be written to any of the 2, but it can be read

While I not sure how the internal of a hard disk work, is there a separate read and write head?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 02:35:28 AM by terrytoh »

rat

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 07:22:16 AM »
Off the wall...(goin to be my c sign !!! K???) have U tried SCANDISK ??

terrytoh

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 09:14:54 PM »
In XP it is called Check Disk if I am not wrong, I have tried,  the scan ended as soon as it is started. So it is unable to scan it.