Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my laptop has gone crazy  (Read 3051 times)

ferret_kitty

my laptop has gone crazy
« on: May 22, 2006, 05:22:02 PM »
I looked through the forums and couldn't find anything that fit my problems, so I'm making a new post.  If I missed something, please let me know.

I have an HP Pavillion zt1260 laptop.  It's about four years old, I recently got a new harddrive installed (60 gig, instead of the old 30, which was full), a wireless card (for the PC/MCI slot), and a new battery (not OEM).  I run Windows XP, and use Firefox and Open Office.  

Problem 1: Whenever I shut the lid of my laptop it automatically shuts off.  It could be in the middle of something, it could be already shutting down, it could be booting up, it doesn't matter.  I have it set to not do anything when I close it, but some how that command has been overridden.

Problem 2: Whenever I start up my computer, I get a message that "OneTouch Driver has Finished Installation, Would I like to Restart My computer?"  OneTouch is one of the original HP programs on my computer.  I reinstalled it when I got a new harddrive, and ever since then I've gotten this message.  Clicking "OK" and rebooting doesn't make it go away.

Problem 3: The other day, Firefox spontaneously got rid of all of my bookmarks.  I went on the FAQ/Help page, and did everything that they said to do to get them back, and they seem to be no where to be found, so I'm wondering if it's an XP problem and not a Firefox problem.  

Any thoughts?  Help and/or possible causes for these things would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you!!

MacPC

Intermediate
    Re: my laptop has gone crazy
    « Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 02:04:26 AM »
    Is your XP and OEM form MS or one that comes with your laptop?

MacPC

ferret_kitty

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 08:46:40 AM »
    I'm not sure what you mean.  I used the disks that came with my computer to reinstall Windows, does that answer your question?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 03:05:46 PM »
    He was asking if they included a Windows XP CD or a system restore HP product. Big difference.

ferret_kitty

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 11:01:54 AM »
    Oh, thank you for the translation.   ::)  I have both, actually.  I have a WinXP installation disk and a couple of outdated HP restore disks.