Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Open Source Windows Anti-virus  (Read 4130 times)

kwebihaf

Open Source Windows Anti-virus
« on: May 24, 2006, 02:36:46 AM »
Please find the Open Source Windows Anti-Virus http://www.clamwin.com/

And

Windows Open Source Anti-spyware http://winpooch.free.fr/home/index.php

Note:

If ur to install them, 1st install clamwin anti-virus then install winpooch

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Open Source Windows Anti-virus
    « Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 02:07:33 PM »
     kwebihaf....... Why would you use either of these products when there are many proven alternatives .........   How long have you been using them ........

The latest version of Clamwin Free Antivirus is 0.88.2.3
    Please note that [highlight]ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-[/highlight][highlight]time scanner.[/highlight] You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware.

Why ClamWin Free Antivirus is not recognised by Windows Security Centre?    
    ClamWin Free Antivirus does not scan files automatically (that is when you access or open a file), you need to scan a suspicious file manually before opening it. Hence ClamWin does not offer fully automatic virus protection and does not integrate with Windows XP SP2 Security Centre.

This will change once the on-access scanning component is released and ClamWin team is working on it.

Please note that if you use [highlight]MS Outlook email client (not MS Outlook Express)[/highlight] then all emails are scanned automatically when you open them.

Reading comments from users indicate that it works , but just how well doesnt seem to be documented ....nor have I seen any comparisons to some of the more established AV scanners .   If you have that info , please post it as it may be useful.

dl65  ::)

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Arc

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 02:12:20 PM »
      I'm good with AVG free and spybot
      You've got to stop taking life so seriously;

or you'll never make it out alive

kwebihaf

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 07:04:00 AM »
      dl65 ...

About Clamwin, [highlight]ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner[/highlight], this true but when Winpooch is installed, it  (Winpooch) acts as the on-access real time scanner. if you visit the winpooch site http://winpooch.free.fr/home/index.php you will see that when Winpooch is combined with Clamwin, the combination makes a powerful security tool..

More on Winpooch, it uses API hooking to detect spywares, which an effective method to detect spywares and viruses.

So i say install both Winpooch and  Clamwin and you will realise you ave got  Powerful security tools that r  free..

Abou how long iave used it, its not so for long about 1 month, but i ave realised the difference btn them and other anti-virus and anti-spyware programs.

The choice is yours.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 04:04:55 PM »
      With better solutions readily available, why would you even consider this? Just curious.

kwebihaf

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 04:03:42 AM »
      GX1_Man... just to answer your question
      With better solutions readily available, why would you even consider this? Just curious.
      Its because of cost and effectiveness.

Both the Anti-virus and Anti-spyware i'm talking about are free and their source codes are readily available incase u want to contribute or make your own customized  programs.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 09:14:23 AM »
      aVG and AdAware are free also, well known and work well.