Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Calculator keeps popping up on its own?  (Read 6031 times)

snitcher

Calculator keeps popping up on its own?
« on: June 01, 2006, 05:21:06 AM »
My calculator keeps popping up without me clicking on it?
I am using windows xp prof.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Calculator keeps popping up on its own?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 06:55:30 AM »
When did this start? Have you or anyone else made any changes to your system recently? Do you have virus and Spyware protection? Do you have a special button for the calculator on your keyboard?

Flame

snitcher

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 11:25:20 AM »
i am not certain when it started and no one has made any changes that i know of,no special key for calculator,i am running shield antivirus and microsoft defender,the only thing i can think of is when i used limewire it gave me a virus as not only does the calculator come up but it is though i have clicked on start sometimes and my e-mail (thunderbird) also starts up on its own?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 12:05:04 PM »
Argh.  Limewire.   :-X
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

snitcher

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 01:00:27 PM »
i have deleted limewire and did a system restore back to 01/05/06 and hopefully this will fix it,thanks for you`re time

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 02:08:09 PM »
Come back and see us if you have any more issues  ;)

Flame

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 02:18:58 PM »
    snitcher..... I cringe whenever someone says they had a virus and did a system restore .......... On the surface , it sounds like a great idea ....however the unwanted visitor , whatever it was may well have taken up residence in the system restore files. So you do a system restore and guess what ...you reinfect the machine again. Something to remember ....if you are visited by some unwanted guest ....... the first thing to do is to turn off system restore ...... then go into the SAFE mode and run your anti virus program and something like Ewido , which will ferret out trojans.  Once you are sure your system is clean ...turn system restore back on .
    the only thing i can think of is when i used limewire it gave me a virus
    For the record ...... it wasn't limewire that infected your machine , it was the infected machine which you selected to download from.  If you must use limewire or any other P2P conduit ...... try and only connect to items which have a 4 star rating and the highest number . ( there is still no guarantee that that file won't be infected , but the odds are in your favour )
    So I guess the question is ....... did you manage to get your machine clean?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

snitcher

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 02:35:49 PM »
    i have only done the restore tonight so i do not know yet and thank you all for the help and i will keep looking at computer hope.