Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power Save Mode  (Read 3000 times)

jmury

Power Save Mode
« on: May 24, 2006, 03:19:52 PM »
 :o I was given an older model computer running Windows 95 or NT and it stays in Power Save Mode. I have read and read about how to get it out of this mode, but nothing I have tried seems to work. Any suggestions?  :-/

GX1_Man

Re: Power Save Mode
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 05:19:37 PM »
Is this a laptop or desktop? Do you have the CD's to reinstall the operating system if needed? Does it do anything at all? How do you know power saver mode is the problem? Are you sure the hardware is OK? What make and model? Do you know anything about the componennts - RAM, hard drive, etc?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 05:20:18 PM by GX1_Man »

jmury

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 06:50:14 PM »
When the system is turned on, the monitor says it is going into Save Power Mode and counts down from 4. I have tried F8, I have tried to use the monitor buttons, nothing stops the count down. It is a Sabre LC desktop computer, AST, Bravo LC 5166M with intel inside, Pentium, 126 mb card inside. I am not sure what year. There is a yellow light, not green, on the hard drive when I turn it on, the monitor comes on, but as I said goes into SP mode.  :-?

It was given to me, and I wanted to give it to my daughter if it will work. I know it will be slow probably. I use Windows XP and don't know much about 95 at all.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 07:01:03 PM »
First I would remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes and then reinsert to restore the default BIOS settings. If that doesn't fix it, I would then try to boot to safe mode (F8 at startup) and see if the power modes can be adjusted in control panel.

jmury

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 08:10:23 PM »
 >:( How? it has a cooper plate with a bar over it and that bar does not want to come up. I am not a computer builder or repair person, but I did see the battery today and read about it so I did know where to find that part. Will it come up without harming the parts holding it in place?  :-?

jmury

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 08:22:45 PM »
Another question......this older model has 128 MB,SBR and my XP has 112 MB of Ram, is the older model bigger? :-?

jmury

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 08:34:08 PM »
 ;D I got the battery out, was no big deal after I found the opening on the side! I will wait 10 minutes and see if it starts up. NO, I have no 95 start up disk. I have XP Professional is all.

jmury

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 09:12:01 PM »
 :-? :'( It didn't do any good to take the battery out. It is still nothing. I switched to an older monitor which does not tell me about the power safe mode. I have fooled with this for a week now. Thanks for your help. :)