Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor Problems - Motherbord Related?  (Read 2180 times)

Windows2kguy

Monitor Problems - Motherbord Related?
« on: May 24, 2006, 08:22:18 PM »
A couple months ago I had a 19-inch monitor that was in great shape suddenly start flickering and distorting around the outside of the image.  First it was intermittant, then more regular, then the top half of the monitor went black.  I replaced the monitor by borrowing one from another computer.  Then I had to replace my video card, then I added 256MB more RAM (512MB now), then I had to replace the PSU.  Once I'd replaced the video card (which had a bad fan and was overheating badly) the problem went away almost entirely.  At some point before the problem started I had to replace a missing DLL file directly related to the video system (it had been deleted when I'd cleared out a program) but I don't remember which one or what program to duplicate it.

The flicker has come back with a vengence and I don't want to replace my monitor if it's just going to blow up on me in a few months and I'll have to replace it again - $$$$ - so I was wondering if this were hardware, software, or whatever so I could fix it.

My new PSU is running about 13.5v on the 12v rail, but I thought the video card was on the 5v rail.  The other rails are running at .05v within spec.  All connections are tight and nothing is overheating.  The new monitor, I even installed the software from the manufacturer (drivers) right off their website.  I'm running the latest ATI drivers for my video card and my old one was an Nvidia.  I've changed the refresh rate repeatedly and that doesn't stop the problem.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!