Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Closing writable DVD-R's after recording  (Read 2373 times)

Yenkima

Closing writable DVD-R's after recording
« on: May 25, 2006, 04:36:43 AM »
I have burnt all of this information onto a DVD and know i have to get it off.  The only problem is that something happened during the burning process and the disk did not close.  How can i know close this disk now this has happened.  If i cannot close it is there any other way that i can copy this information onto another medium.  I can look at everything on there like pictures and music but when i try to open a word file it says that it cannot open.  When i try to copy the files it tells me that it cannot read from the source disk.
Please help it is some of my friends information and there is a lot of it there.
Thanx :-?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Closing writable DVD-R's after recording
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 05:33:04 AM »
Possibly your DVD burning software has a facility to close DVD sessions - check the help.  Alternatively, you could try using that software to copy the DVD.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Yenkima

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 01:56:56 AM »
Ok, here we go.  I have already put a question together but no-one can seem to help me.  I want someone to take the challenge and save my arse.  I have taken all of my friends files off a computer and placed it onto a DVD using Nero.  I used the simulation burn before the real one.  There are all types of files on the DVD like pictures, music and word files.  During the buring process there was an error but on the DVD there was still 3.8gb on the disk so i thought it would be all good.  We then proceeded to wipe the computer clean of all her files.  When i went to copy the files onto the computer we gat all kinds of errors and when i attempted to make a direct copy it always stops at 47%.  I have attempted to bring back the files on the computer but when refresing it only brings back settings and not actual files.  I have tried many many things.  I am putting out the challenge to the best computer minds to see if you can save my soul.  There are very precious things on this disk that need to be saved.
God speed
Is that better

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 02:27:19 AM »
And I said: "Possibly your DVD burning software has a facility to close DVD sessions - check the help.  Alternatively, you could try using that software to copy the DVD."

Have you tried either of those suggestions?

Yenkima

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 03:38:42 AM »
Sorry i dont think i made myself very clear.  I have tried for the last day to close the disk or put more on it.  But it not a multisession and one of the files are corrupted.  I have recently used a program to get back all of the files that i had deleted and it has worked quite well.  But, i cannot seem to find all of the pictures.  Are you aware of these types of programs and if so do you know if they could get back around 2.5gb worth of pictures
Thanks

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 04:11:16 AM »
Well you need something to read the DVD in a fault-tolerant manner.  I was hoping that simply attempting to copy it (my second suggestion) would help in this regard.  Yes, there are programs that can help, but they tend to be expensive.  Ditto, data recovery experts.

Before you go there, you could try some of the suggestions in >this thread in a dedicated CD/DVD burning forum<, or maybe explore that forum for more suggestions.