Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer wont boot  (Read 2390 times)

allee

Computer wont boot
« on: May 26, 2006, 12:42:33 AM »
My system has win98 and recently I have been getting the HIMEM.SYS error.  I have looked up the issues for this.  Unfortunetly my computer wont even boot up now, it just gives off and awful beep...not the short beeps that you  get when there is a issue with mouse, keyboard problem.

Could anyone give me any ideas please.  I am guessing that the motherboard has died, would this be correct?

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

Lee

GX1_Man

Re: Computer wont boot
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 04:17:22 AM »
We know nothing specifically about the computer from what you've posted, so clarify that and have a read here:

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 04:24:31 AM »
If it started with a HIMEM error symptom, then I would guess at faulty processor or memory.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

talkin_poo

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 01:38:39 AM »
Hey I have a similar problem.
I have this old computer that I want to screw around with, test things.
But when I try to boot up the moniter reads.
" SELF DIAGNOSIS" (then below it a rectangle with 3 horizontal lines coloured red, yellow and blue)
then " NO SIGNAL"

Whats going on? Is there something wrong with my graphics card or monitor?
If you have an answer e-mail me on [email protected].

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 09:45:11 AM »
ralkinpoo,

I think your issues are NOT similar and it is considered rude to hijack someone else's thread, so next time please post as a new topic. We'll go easy on you since this is your first post here.  ;)

The first thing you need to do is try that monitor on another PC to make sure it is good and then try another monitor on this PC. Then you will know where the problem is.

If the problem is with this machine, then remove and reseat the video card and reinstal the appropriate drivers for it.

talkin_poo

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 02:25:30 AM »
Ok, I'll keep that in mind.
& thanx