Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Word driving me crazy with spacing issu!  (Read 2931 times)

broke.bored.sober

Microsoft Word driving me crazy with spacing issu!
« on: May 28, 2006, 05:07:15 PM »
I have been having lots of problems with Word lately.  My latest problem is a spacing issue.  If I start a new document and I create a simple title, lets say, Chapter One, and I center it, then hit enter twice, and then I want to left justify and start typing text, once I hit the left justify button, it also moves the title to the left.  It's like there's a link between everything on the page.  I can't center anything without all of the text being centered.  Any ideas?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Microsoft Word driving me crazy with spacing i
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 05:15:09 PM »
Try this and see whether it works better.  I'm assuming the default alignment is left.  IF not, please state so.  Type the title.  Now, hit Enter twice.  Now, move the cursor back to the title and hit the Center button.  Now, move the cursor back to the bottom, where you were after hitting Enter twice.  Do you still have the problem?

broke.bored.sober

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 05:17:29 PM »
Thanks Soybean, but it didn't work.  Everything was fine until I recently started typing a formal document for work with a title page, TOC and all that.  Now, I have so many problems, even when starting with a fresh document.  It's like all the text is linked.  If I bold something, then hit enter and try to not bold other text, it takes the bold out of everything.  But my major issue is the spacing..it's either all left justify or all center...it's so frustrating.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 05:28:20 PM »
Well, I see you have some special requirements for a formal document.  I really haven't done much of that type of work with Word.  I use Word almost daily, but usually just for informal, personal files.  

Do you use the Styles and Formatting feature?  It's on the Format menu.  When you open a blank document, what do you see in the Styles and Formatting box, to the left of the font name and size on the formatting toolbar?  Does it say Normal or something else?

broke.bored.sober

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 05:31:36 PM »
Man, I finally figured it out..after DAYS.  On the styles and formatting menu, I was in the Normal,n option (because that's the style I was trying to use) and I unchecked the Autocorrect button.  There ya have it..freedom to space the way I want and bold the text I want independent of anything else on the page.  Thanks~

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 02:49:32 AM »
This is one of several things that Word does "behind your back".  Go to Tools-->Autocorrect options-->Autoformat as you type.  You probably want most things switched off here, under "Apply as you type" and "Automatically as you type".  Those options can do all sorts of things you're not expecting, and produce fairly inconsistent results.  Power users don't need them.  Basic users get confused by them.  I really wonder who MS thought would like them?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos