Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless Network Adaptor Problem  (Read 2234 times)

Blookah

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Don't Stop Believin'!!
    Wireless Network Adaptor Problem
    « on: May 28, 2006, 11:20:33 PM »
    I have an ACER Ferrari 4000 laptop. It has a wireless network card installed which up until now worked fine. I have a Netgear wireless router in my home running a 3 system network and I thought to share files with my desktop I needed to install the Netgear software on the laptop. When trying to do this the software disabled Windows ability to configure my wireless network adaptor and I can't use it to connect to anything now. Can somebody please help me?
    Thank you,
    BG
    Thank you,
    Blookah

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Wireless Network Adaptor Problem
    « Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 09:08:12 AM »
    If this is what I think it is, this will be easy... Do this if you have Windows XP installed... Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet Connections -> Network Connections. Find the connection which is active and has the wireless symbol on it, and right-click on that. In the little menu that appears, click on Show Available Networks. A new windows will appear, and it should say that there are none available. On the left pane, click on Change Advanced Settings. In the new window that appears, you will see three tabs. General, Wireless Networks, and Advanced. Click on the Wireless Networks Tab. You will now see just under that tab a little check box that says "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings." Click on that check box to put a check in it, and press the OK button. The window which shows Available Wireless Networks probably needs to be refreshed, so in that window, click on the Refresh Network list button on the left pane. You should now see your network(s) and connect to them. At this time, I would suggest uninstalling any Netgear software you have installed on this computer. If you do not, then when you restart, it will say that Microsoft is handling your connections, and Netgear shoudl be, etc. If that pops-up just click on no and uninstall the software. Good luck  ;)

Flame