Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: -embedding  (Read 13452 times)

tonylouwanna

-embedding
« on: May 31, 2006, 08:18:21 PM »
 hi. i am new here and i believe i have a new problem. cant find anything about it on google or anywhere else.
  ok, ill try to explain it best as i can.
  every so often when im online and after i do a search i right-click a result and choose open in a new window ( by the way, am using Avant browser). not always but about every twenty minutes or so after i right-click, my browser will freeze for about thirty seconds or so, then a page will open up next to the one i wanted to open. what it says is the word  -embedding  in the google search box. then it says:
  Results 1-20 of 25,270,000,000 for -embedding.
  after this there is a list of websites such as:

Arts & Letters Daily-ideas, critism, debate
  aldaily.com/

luxury ocean estate Guide
  luxuryoceanestate.com/

The Chronicle of Higher Education
  chronicle.com/

and on and on....
  ok, i have no idea what is causing this. i have no other problems with my computer. i run avg antivirus and zone alarm and am running windows xp w/sp2. i clean my browser hourly or so when online, plus run ccleaner to get rid of extra junk.
  i saved the page as text and converted it to gif but couldnt figure out how to adjust output size so i hope everyone can see it. anyway, this thing is driving me nuts trying to figure it out. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx in advance.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 08:19:39 PM by tonylouwanna »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re:  -embedding
    « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 01:40:18 AM »
     tonylouwanna.....  Odd, when I did the same thing this is what my google search returned .
    Results 1 - 10 of about 36,900,000 for embedding [definition]. (0.26 seconds)

Are you using the google toolbar to conduct your searches ?
    I'm also curious to know why you right click on a result to open it as opposed to simply double clicking on the link . What happens if you use IE as the browser ?  This issue may be something that only occurs with the [highlight]Avant [/highlight][highlight]browser[/highlight]

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

tonylouwanna

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 09:08:37 PM »
    hi dl65. thanx for the response, but i think u are misunderstanding. i am not doing a search for embedding on google. this page just comes up on its own. for example, i will type in a search for lets say harley davidson. after MY search request results come up, i then right-click on lets say the third one down to open in new window so that window opens in a new tab next to my first page so i can jump back and forth between as many pages as i want on the tabs. after i right-click on the third result the page will open next to the original page then my browser will freeze , then unfreeze and my third chosen tab WILL be there plus one i never wanted---   the one that says -embedding in it. man this is confusing even for me to explain. internet explorer sucks and cant stand it personally. avant has so many features plus the multi tab thing. i have recommended avant to my brothers, my cousin, my best friend, my wifes co-worker...they all use it and none of them has this happening to them.
       hmmm, maybe someone will come along and figure this out.
       thanx for the quick response.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 04:14:16 AM »
    Avant is in fact based on Internet Explorer, and uses many of its facilities.  This sounds to me very much like a browser hijack.  >BHODemon< is a very useful program for swtiching off "Broswer Helper Object", although unforunately its development is currently on hold.

You need up to date virus and spyware protection.
    « Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 06:27:48 AM by robpomeroy »
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

tonylouwanna

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 08:02:40 PM »
    i was thinking the same thing have run hijack this, ad-aware, ewido. ill run bho and see what it turns up. thanx for the suggestion.

rockerest

Hopeful
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 07:46:30 PM »
    Have you tried Firefox?  It's a great browser that I've never had any problems with.  Also has tabs, and a quick engine.  Plus, I've heard it's more secure than IE.  Just a suggestion, it might fix some problems...

-rock
    In general, the PEBKAC.  Whether it's now or was three weeks ago, the PEBKAC.
    Unsafe browsing and general computer / internet illiteracy IS the users problem.  Don't have sex if you don't know how to use a condom.
    Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.