Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: View file types crashes  (Read 4946 times)

dcihon

View file types crashes
« on: June 01, 2006, 07:47:19 AM »
When I go to control panel > folder options > file types. It starts to display the file types and then the file types window and the control panel window dissapear.
Also if I go to windows exolorer and click tools > folder options > file types it starts to show the file types and then I get a send error report to microsoft window and if I look at the details of the error there is a 0xc0000005 error.
I have checked my memory and it is fine. This is the only problem I an having with the computer. Every thing else works fine.
Thanks
Dan

pcdoc4christ

Re: View file types crashes
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 03:04:36 PM »
If it is Windows 2000, install the latest service pack:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311278

Doc

dcihon

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 08:11:47 PM »
No it is windows xp with SP2

dcihon

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 07:52:12 AM »
I have discovered where the problem is.
It is somewhere in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT Section but there is so many entries in there and I don't know exactly which one or ones are causing the problem.
Does anyone know of a way to find the problem without having to one by one eliminate each entry and see if it fixes the problem.
I was going to export the key and then delete every entry but I think that is dangerous and very time consuming.
Thanks
Dan

pcdoc4christ

« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 01:53:01 PM by pcdoc4christ »

dcihon

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 07:32:15 AM »
I found the file type that was causing the problem. I don't know why but when I removed it everything worked fine.
It was .oft type Outlook Item Template.
Thanks to all who tried to help.