Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Moniter problems  (Read 5442 times)

Nogard

Moniter problems
« on: May 31, 2006, 09:44:45 AM »
ok.. so.. I was trying to fix a acreen problem with one of my games and I shut off the adapter to my moniter... now.. it will not show me my screen anymore yet I can hear that the computer is running normally... how can I get the screen back on

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Moniter problems
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 10:03:27 AM »
See whether you can start in Safe Mode and then reset your display adapter: How to Start Windows in Safe Mode

Nogard

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 10:47:12 AM »
I tried that and that doesn't work ethier.. The screen just goes blank after windows loads... but I can hear everything working. I tried rebooting it and that doesn't work ethier.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 11:09:06 AM »
I think some clarification is needed here; I should have recognized that before my previous post.  Exactly how did you "shut off the adapter to my moniter"?

Nogard

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 11:48:59 AM »
ok I went into display properties, I went to the settings tab and clicked the advanced button. That brings up another window where I went to the adaptor tab. Windows help told me to go to the driver tab in that window and select update driver, but no such option was availble. So instead I went back to the adaptor tab and disabled the adaptor. It then told me to restart my computer and when I did the moniter started going blank.  

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 12:09:31 PM »
Well, that all sounds odd.  On Win XP computer, I simply don't have the option to disable the monitor at the Adapter screen.  And, that makes sense.  Why would Windows allow you to disable a device that is required to use your computer?

Do you have a video card installed or are you using onboard video?  If you're using a video card, does your computer have onboard video capability?  Do you have any old or extra video card that is not being used?  Is your video card AGP or PCI Express?

Nogard

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 12:27:22 PM »
ok so I use a video card and yes it does have onboard video capibilility, and it is a PCI card and no I don't have any extra video cards laying around. Oh and yes my computer runs windows xp

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 12:34:12 PM »
Did you originally use the onboard video?  Is so, did you have to access your BIOS screen and change a setting to switch from onboard to the video card?  Can you access your BIOS (the CMOS Setup utility) and see your BIOS settings?  Do you see anything on screen when you first turn on the computer?  

Have you tried connecting the monitor to the onboard VGA connector and starting the computer?  You do have two connectors on back of your computer, the onboard and the one from your PCI card, right?  

Nogard

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 01:08:35 PM »
Yes I believe I can acesses my BIOS and yes I can see the Windows XP start up window and then when it should go to my desktop it goes blank.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 01:36:59 PM »
And, what about the other questions I asked in my last post?