Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adding a hard drive.  (Read 2912 times)

thor5268

Adding a hard drive.
« on: June 02, 2006, 11:55:49 AM »
Ok, I have bought and installed my second HD. (minus plugging power and sata cables in) I would like to run them in RAID-0. The HD in there now is only a month old. My question is am I going to have to erase everything on the HD and start all over again? How do I go about clearing everything off of the HD? Any tips or help would be much appreciated. I am hoping this isnt going to be the trouble it is shaping up to becoming. If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated...

System, dual core 4800, asus sli motherboard, 2- 7800 GTX video cards, 2 gig meemory, X-fi sound,XP-pro, 2-Raptor 74 gb 10,000 rpm HD ( one working the other waiting to get into action).

Thanks

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Adding a hard drive.
    « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 12:06:22 PM »
    thor5268....  The best advice would be for you to thoroughly read the mobo manual ...... it will describe in detail how to setup and configure the raid array.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

compEngineer0

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 09:40:15 AM »
    yeah the manual and looking in the bios will tell you for sure... but in all likely hood you will be required to format the hard drive to do raid-0, but even still just back up all your stuff onto CD-Rs or DVD-Rs. if going to raid 0 you should back up your data anyways. raid 0 spans data across both hard drives so if one dies you lose everything and not having a backup is really going to suck. raid 0 is great, just make sure anything you dont want to lose is backed up somehow. with the asus sli mobo, odds are you are setting up raid through NVRaid which is done in the bios. just go in and enable raid and use the config menu to set it up and add hdds. when you get into windows, probably have to use computer managament to create a new volume and/or assign drive letter to get it to recognize.

thor5268

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 01:05:30 PM »
    Sounds good..... Thanks for the help guys.... Let the fun begin.. :-/