Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: increasing local memory for display device  (Read 3055 times)

helpmeplz

increasing local memory for display device
« on: June 02, 2006, 07:20:44 PM »
hi, i want to give my display device (video card) ATI Mobility Radeon 9000IGP/9100IGP more local memory so i am able to play Battle Field 2. i have 64 but i need 128. i have a laptop with xp professional with all updates including drivers for sound/video card. everything is up to date. i just need to know how to boost the memory to 128. i have 702mb free ram, and about 18gb free of harddisk space. some one plz help me.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: increasing local memory for display device
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 07:35:15 PM »
If the BIOS in your laptop supports allocating 128MB of system RAM to video, then you can do it.  If it doesn't, you can not.  You need to determine, based on the specs for you laptop, whether it would allow allocating more than 64MB to video.  You should be able to determine this by accessing the BIOS settings screen and seeing what your options are for shared video memory.

helpmeplz

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 07:37:25 PM »
sry, im kinda a noob. how do i access BIOS and wut is it? can u walk me through somehow?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 07:39:03 PM by helpmeplz »

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 08:19:44 PM »
Here are two references that should help:

Access/Enter Motherboard BIOS, and
How to get into your computer's BIOS.

You'll need to carefully watch your screen while the computer is starting, as soon as you turn the power on.  Look for "Setup" on the screen, and hit the appropriate key at that moment to access the BIOS.

helpmeplz

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 08:34:04 PM »
thanks.

helpmeplz

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 09:05:26 PM »
also can my computer have more than 1 graphics card, (compaq presario r3000 laptop 2003/2004)? my vid. card is not compatible with bf2 and i would want to get another one but leave my old one how it is still. maybe there is a way 2 switch back and forth if i have 2?

soybean

Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 09:20:36 PM »
No, your computer can not have more than 1 graphics card and, no, you won't be able to swap cards in and out of the laptop.  Due to the compact design of laptops, they are made with intergrated graphics rather than removable video cards.   If you can't play bf2 with it, you really have no choice but to get a computer that is capable of playing it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 06:00:57 AM »
What are the system requirements for the game. As above, I suspect you do not have a machine with a n appropriate graphics adapter and it will never work well if at all. Desktops are better equipped for gaming and have expandibility which laptop do not.  ;)

helpmeplz

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 08:22:28 AM »
hold on, i lost the box, ill try n find it
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 08:23:53 AM by helpmeplz »

helpmeplz

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 08:27:23 AM »
needs 1.7ghz, i have 2.4. needs 128 local display memory, i have 128.i have 37.25gb harddrive, used 18.9, pass for game. ati mobility radeon 9000igp/9100igp video card, unsure if this will work. thats all the important stuff.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 08:38:06 AM »
So, you found that your laptop allows allocating 128MB of memory to video.  Is that right?   What do you mean by " pass for game"?  And, you say, "ati mobility radeon 9000igp/9100igp video card".   You were replying to the question about the system requirements for the game, right?  So, the game calls for "ati mobility radeon 9000igp/9100igp video card", which is what your laptop has.  Is that correct?

Even so, integrated video never performs as well as a separate video card.  So, your laptop simply may not be adequate to play that game.

helpmeplz

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 09:00:36 AM »
yes, it can allocate more memory, thanks for that part. i did this easyinfo test that comes with the game and it says pass, fail, or unable to tell. i was replying to the question about system requirements, yes. it does not call for my particular graphics card anywhere in the pamphlet or easyinfo test. it does have that card that i listed. can i add another card to my computer?

soybean

Genius
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 09:25:57 AM »
No, you can't add a card.  As I said back in post#6, and as GX1_MAN said, laptops are not upgradable as far as video is concerned.  

helpmeplz

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 12:15:51 PM »
ok, thx. do u no where i can get a cheap gaming desktop by chance?

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 01:14:44 PM »
You will need to go for a custom system or have one built to your specs. The pre-fab ones from Compaq, HP, etc. will not be suitable for high end gaming.