Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD and DVD rom not showing in My Computer  (Read 2238 times)

ebeardmore65

CD and DVD rom not showing in My Computer
« on: June 04, 2006, 01:47:41 PM »
ibm thinkpad, windows xp pro, service pack 2, cd rom and dvd rom not showing in my computer, will show in the device manager but says, windows has successfully loaded driver for this device but cannot find device. We also ran pc doctor and both drives passed all tests.

What do i need to do to get these devices to be acknowledged.

GX1_Man

Re: CD and DVD rom not showing in My Computer
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 01:55:53 PM »
Delete in device manager and reboot. What happens now?

What happened prior to this? Did it used to work correctly?

ebeardmore65

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 02:06:55 PM »
Deleted in device manager, reinstalled, worked fine  before, is daughters computer, she called to tell me it happened and now i'm tryin to get it fixed, not sure what could've happened after we gave it to her last month, any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 02:12:21 PM by ebeardmore65 »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 11:36:48 AM »
A power surge, lightning strike, dropping the computer, overheating, messing around inside the computer case, or installing bad software might be the cause.  Please try to get more details as to what happened just prior to the optical drives not found in Device Manager, and then get back to us.

Doc

ebeardmore65

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 03:54:26 PM »
My daughter swears she hasn't dropped the laptop, but she did say a storm had come thru where she lives and she can't remember if the computer was on or not. She also said that she was trying to install some software for a webcam and that is when she noticed the problem. I also asked if she had  been using it on carpet or sitting on a towel or something and again she says she's only used it on a table or hard surface.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 05:12:03 PM »
Ebeardmore:

If the laptop was recharging its battery, it may have been damaged by lightning.  Otherwise, the new software might be to blame.  Have her uninstall the Web cam software and reinstall the DVD-ROM drivers.  

Doc

tekman22003

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 06:52:29 PM »
You may possibly need to go to a full windows reinstall to correct this problem.  That of course would be the last resort.  Do you have restoration disks?