Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD ROM will work if disk is autorun but..........  (Read 3766 times)

mrbaca2u

CD ROM will work if disk is autorun but..........
« on: June 06, 2006, 02:44:11 PM »
If I put in any other disk that is not an auto run it tells me to "please insert disk".  I am running a 2000 machine and the rom is an older rom but it worked fine before I rebuilt this machine.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

TNX

GX1_Man

Re: CD ROM will work if disk is autorun but.......
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 03:37:10 PM »
It is jumpered correctly and seen correctly in the BIOS?

No CD will work - commercial, home made or othjerwise unless autorun/

How old is it? Do you have another drive you could slip in there to test with, and test this drive on another machine?

What spyware/virus protection is being used regularly?

mrbaca2u

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 05:45:20 PM »
The  jumpers are good it is the exact same hardware config I had on it for a couple of years.  I do have spybot and adaware running all the time.  I just reloaded the OS a couple of days ago (using the cd rom).  I was able to load the motherboard drivers I had on disk and all the agp/pci devices.  I poped in the midows office cd and it starts.  I even put in other cds with autorun and it still can't  see any other cd.  I'll put in a drive from one of my other machines and try that................it's about 4 years old but was hoping to save it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 05:47:30 PM by mrbaca2u »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 06:30:31 PM »
Sometimes the optics and other functtions go long before the mechanics  (drive still opens, etc.). Is it recognized in device manager? No exclamation marks by the CDROM? What make/model/speed?