Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless Routers  (Read 2424 times)

compEngineer0

Wireless Routers
« on: June 07, 2006, 08:25:30 AM »
I currently am using a D-Link DGL-4100 wired router, but now that my gf has a laptop rather than a desktop, I'm looking at the D-Link DGL-4300. This seems to be the wireless version (still with wired ports :) of the one I have which is great b/c I'll be able to keep all the features of my current while just adding wireless functionality for the laptop. I was just wondering mainly as to the security/reliability of wireless routers. I live in an apartment so distance shouldn't be a problem and as far as security, is it just a matter of settings to secure the network? I'm just looking for any suggestions, advice, or general information I should know before I make the switch. Thanks.

Doomsayer

Beginner
    Re: Wireless Routers
    « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 08:48:42 AM »
    Personally,  i use a LINKSYS WRT54GL  Which includes a security feature that only allows computers with a certain, determined alpha-numeric passcode to access the internet through this wireless setup.  During the router setup,  it gives you about 4 of these passcodes that you can use, meaning you can have 4 computers on the internet wirelessly at any time as long as they have those codes.  This router cost me about $50 and works very well.    

However be forewarned that there are compatibility issues of some kind with this Linksys router and Comcast high speed internet.   so if that is your Internet provider, get back to me before you invest in a linksys router,  unless your sticking with your model.  (which seems reliable, but is just unfamiliar to me)

according to people here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127158   your router seeems to have a complicated setup process,   but it does include security features,   probably similar to what i described above.

Hope i answered your questioins   ;)

Charlie

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 08:48:54 AM »
    You need to keep your router secure by buying a router with good encryption. I would say 128 encryption or higher. You will need to set MAC addresses, a password, just about everything it tells you really. Especially in an apartment, where you have neighbors all around you, so if you're not secure, you could have numerous amounts of people tapping in. You don't want that. it's more than hijacking an internet connection. It could mean files, etc.

Flame

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 09:14:25 AM »
    The D-Link DGL-4300 is a rather pricey router.  I bought a D-Link DI-524 a few months ago.  I see newegg.com has a great rebate deal on it now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127143

The DI-524 does offer 128Bit encryption, which Flame mentioned.
    « Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:18:21 AM by soybean »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 10:50:20 AM »
    The more encryption the better. Also, if a neighbor or anyone for that matter asks what kind fo router you have, I don't suggest sharing that. Knowing what make or medel of router you have, people can find a way to bypass the internal firewall. You don't want that lol

Flame

compEngineer0

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 10:54:17 AM »
    Yes I do have Comcast for my ISP. The setup is a little complicated at first, but once you get the hang of it it's really not bad at all. Yeah, I would set up the MAC address filter, I was just making sure there wasn't anything wireless specific that I might overlook. Thanks.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 10:55:25 AM »
    Sure thing. Come back and see us if you have any more questions.  ;)

Flame