Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win2k Device Mgr not saving device changes????  (Read 1949 times)

OldGuru

Win2k Device Mgr not saving device changes????
« on: June 08, 2006, 11:13:07 AM »
I installed Windows 2000 in a dual boot configuration on a Hitachi laptop (MX133t re-chipped with 233MHz mmx ;D).
Opening Device Manager I have the yellow exclamation point on the Infrared port and a error code 10.  :-/
No problem...clicked the resources tab and saw that it was trying to use the same resources as the internal USRobotics modem: 2F8/IRQ-3.  Double-clicked on the modem device manager entry, hit the resources tab, un-clicked the "Use automatic settings" checkbox (it wasn't greyed/disabled...).  Chose the same configuration used by 98SE:  Basic configuration 0006 (5E8/IRQ-10), saw no conflicting devices...clicked YES and rebooted.

After reboot still have the resource conflict between modem and IR port trying to both use 2F8/IRQ-3  :-?

Logged on as Administrator and tried again...it still refuses to use the manually selected configuration on reboot.  :o

Installed the latest service packs and got the latest Win2k compliant drivers for all of the hardware.

Un-installed both devices and re-installed...different orders...singly...no change...

Disabled 'PnP OS' and APM in BIOS, re-installed Windows 2000, F5'd to disable ACPI/APM, use StandardPC and use hal.dll.  Same problem still exists... >:(

Anybody got any ideas?  :-?

GX1_Man

Re: Win2k Device Mgr not saving device changes????
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 05:22:44 PM »
I have seen the same thing on several older laptops (THinkPads) and was unable to resolve it so there was no exclamation point.

Do you need the infrared port? If not just ignore it and the modem will work normally.