Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Specified domain does not exist  (Read 3018 times)

GTWeasel

Specified domain does not exist
« on: June 08, 2006, 10:02:40 AM »
A friend of mine had a perpetual restart problem on his computer. The only option I found -- after trying everything I could think of and then researching it -- was to wipe his system and start over.

So I reinstalled WinXP using the system restore disk that came with his Gateway. I ran fdisk to reset his partitions, and then formatted the HD. When Windows finally finished installing -- and I tried to login -- I got the following error:

The system cannot log you on due to the following error:
          The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
          Please try again or contact your system administrator.

All the research I've done on this points to a network problem. It shouldn't have anything to do with logging in. Should it?

Also, I tried on his name and with the admin account under safe mode and normal startup.

GX1_Man

Re: Specified domain does not exist
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 05:27:17 PM »
Is it set to boot up from a network source in the BIOS? Perhaps he was monkeying around in there? THis does not happen with a fresh install on a normally configured machine. What are the boot options listed/
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 05:27:44 PM by GX1_Man »

GTWeasel

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 07:03:15 PM »
Boot order is as follows:

1. HD
2. Floppy
3. CD-ROM
4. DVD-ROM

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 07:04:57 PM »
How did you setup the network when you reinstalled? A workgroup or a domain? Try a workgroup. That should solve it.

GTWeasel

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 07:12:31 PM »
I haven't finished the setup yet.

It runs the "DOS" setup first. After that it says remove any media you have in the drives and restart, but when I restart it won't let me log in and gives me that error.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 07:18:19 PM »
Win XP does not have DOS, so that is a Gateway restore CD. (Do you have a SATA hard drive in there?)

Windows XP is a graphical install start to finish.

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    « Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 02:26:39 AM »
    I thought Gateway computer Were dead Befor windows XP came out

and the Error your getting could only mean the image your loading was configured to connect to a domain

That is a Stupid thing for an Image to DO ... very very stupid. but it not your fault

What you need is a Real XP Disk, if i were me id Download one, and since you have a lisence for XP its legal sorta
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice