Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cut / Paste / Drag issues  (Read 2191 times)

Ticcer

Cut / Paste / Drag issues
« on: June 09, 2006, 08:25:02 AM »
OK, I'm no noob.  Been around 'puters since the good old days of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K (With 16K memory upgrade... Whoohooo!!!)

I've been having a problem with XP Pro SP2 (fully updated.)

Everytime I highlight text with the mouse or keyboard, it automatically gets put into the windows clipboard... regardless of whether I right click and cut/copy, CTRL C / X or not.  

For example, I run FlashGet V1.72  I often have file links in a text notepad file... If I 'highlight' a URL containig a file I wish to download in notepad or any other application, with the mouse or keyboard, FlashGet will think I've 'copied' the URL and jump into action ready to download.

Similarly, If I 'highlight' a bit of text in notepad, right click it, select copy/cut (Or CTRL C / X)... then highlight another bit of text in any application at all, and try to paste what I previously copied/cut, the second text I highlighted just preplaces itself with...  itself.

I often use notepad (or UltraEdit 32) for making notes about clients or other tid bits of information.  I always put the title of the document in the first line of the text file... ie "Computer Requirements" for example.  When I go to save the file I often want it in it's own folder, so I highlight the document title, and hit CTRL C.  I then clik, File -> Save (Or "save as").   A save dialog box appears as usual.  I then click the 'New Folder" icon to create a new folder.  The New Folder defaults with the name "New Folder" and is highlighted in blue to be edited, as normal.  All I should have to do is right click the blue highlighted words, "New Folder" and click , "Paste" to put the highlighted text in plce of the default folder name... Simple, right??

NOT!!!!!  

If I do the above, all I get is the words "New Folder" pasted over the words, "New Folder"  If I cancel out of that and right click in some blank space of my text file and then click, "Paste"..  the words, "New Folder" get pasted..... even though I never asked Windows to copy the words, "New Folder" in the first place!!

Sometimes, Nothing gets pasted and the words, "New Folder" (the name of the default new folder) get replaced with nothing and I get the error message pontificating about how the folder needs to have a name.

This is frustrating the *censored* out of me!!!

I have discovered that if, after creating the new folder, I hit the "End" key, then delete the words, "New Folder" with the "backspace" key then right click or CTRL V, I get the desired result.... sometimes!  But this is not the most expedient way of doing it, nor the way it should be.

Even if I am cutting/copying and pasting text from word, notepad or any other application and then creating a new folder via the explorer the same thing occours.  I am 80% of the time unable to paste the text I have just cut/copied to change the new folder name.

Also, lets say I want to right click and hold the right mouse button down on a file or folder..  then drag it to the desktop or another open folder then let the right mouse button go to get the little menu up that lets me choose, "Move here" or, "Copy here"... I can't do it.  I can drag only so far before the whole open folder window gets dragged with the mouse...  not just the file / folder I want to drag...  the whole flamming window gets dragged with the file.  Most annoying!!

I am running Firefox V1.5.0.4 and I know there is some sort of cut/paste issue with that, but I run both a notebook and a desktop with the same software...  These issues only occour on my desktop...  not my notebook....  I have absolutely zero issues with the notebook computer.

I run an AMD 3700+ 64 Athlon CPU
2 GB RAM
Windoze XP SP2 on fully automatic updates.
Micro$haft Digital Media Keyboard 1.0A with mouse
Epox 9NPA MoBo
Kaspersky AV v5.0.391

My notebook is a Samsung X50 with 1 GB RAM

I've thrown every anti-virus / malware program I could get my hands on at my PC and no malware is found  Hijack This v1.99.1 finds nothing obscure either.  I do have a fair bit of software installed but not more than on previous installations of XP that gave me no issues at all.

Any Ideas?????

Cheers

Ticcer

bdetchevery

Re: Cut / Paste / Drag issues
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 09:04:09 AM »
There are several program such as Trillian or firefox AutoCopy (add-ons) that include an 'auto copy selected text to clipboard' function. I would first check to see if you have any of these programs turned on with this option checked.

Perhaps there is such an option in UltraEdit or FlashGet?

Hope this helps,

Ticcer

Re: Cut / Paste / Drag issues
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 10:20:51 AM »
bdetchevery,

Thanks for the reply.  Autocopy is inactive in firefox..  i don't use Trillian... excellent progy btw...  

Besides..  Why does all this stuff happen in explorer?

Cheers

ST*