Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New 19" LCD problem  (Read 3009 times)

rockon_rrh

New 19" LCD problem
« on: June 09, 2006, 02:01:26 AM »
I just bought a Princeton VL1919 LCD monitor from costco. I had it 5 minutes and it started blacking out. The screen stays black for about 5 seconds then returns to normal for about 10-20 seconds. This goes on forever until I turn off my comp. I know the monitor isnt defective because it works great when plugged into my girlfriends DELL laptop. I have tried both analogue and digi inputs and both do the same thing. Any ideas?

Specs:
Pentium D 3.00ghz
Abit AW8 mobo
MSI RX1600 PRO 256mb
Aopen AW850D 5.1
ROSEWILL PSU RV450 watt PSU

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: New 19" LCD problem
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 02:52:48 AM »
Sounds like your graphics card is struggling with this monitor.  Have you tried using a different resolution/scree refresh?  Are you able to try a different graphics card?  Do you have the most current drivers for the graphics card and the most current ".inf" file for the monitor?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 02:53:19 AM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

rockon_rrh

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 10:31:34 AM »
Yes I have tried every possible resolution and refresh rate. As I said the monitor works great when plugged into my girlfriends laptop, it just doesnt like my PC. I have the stock MSI drivers installed for my graphics card, and have also tried all the most recent ATI catalyst drivers, but nothing works. What is an "inf" file?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 10:38:55 AM »
Have you tried a different graphics card in your PC with this monitor?

The "inf" file is the file that provides information to Windows about the capabilities of the monitor.  (In fact, it might not even end in '.inf' - I forget the extension.)  Strictly speaking, monitors don't require drivers, but some monitor manufacturers will provide a CD, calling it a "driver disk" which just contains the capability information.

I'm probably being unduly pedantic, but they're not drivers.  ;D

Anyway, if you've tried all possible refresh rates/resolutions, then the likely culprit is the graphics card, alas.

rockon_rrh

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 12:18:11 PM »
I havent tried a different one, because my old Sapphire is an AGP and my mobo only supports PCI express 16. My MSI video card runs my CRT monitor fine, no problems whatsoever even in very demanding 3d applications and games. Does it just not like LCD monitors in general, or just this particular Princeton monitor?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 12:57:47 PM »
Hmm... let me just consult my crystal ball for that one... nope... it doesn't have a clue either.  ;D

Sorry!

Dead_reckon

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 07:19:30 PM »
your problem is simple:

its your MSI card, ive had nothing BUT trouble out of this MSI board, and the same goes for my brothers, which is of newer technology than this one (his is a 775 socket board of a differant class, mine is a 478), AVOID MSI PEOPLE! MSI is nothing but a headache! it works fine... with some things, with most, it wont work at all... i would advise returing the MSI card if the warrenty is still good and getting another, you wont regret it