Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problem with windows xp pro setup  (Read 3362 times)

pop12

problem with windows xp pro setup
« on: June 10, 2006, 01:40:17 PM »
  Hello fellow computer users,
I have a very unique and discuraging problem. I will breifly describe what led up to this final destruction.  My computer began having problems a while back when I tried to clean up some of the old programs that were not being used.  The first task I ran was the disc clean up, I caint really remember if I said "ok" to delete files that were not being used by any other programs. This was not giving me any more free space on my hard drive, so the next task I ran was the system recovery, the nondestruct version, this gave me more space, however none of my programs worked. This resulted in reloading all my programs, which was fine with the eception of my office programs. After reloading microsoft office, these programs still did not work. I would recieve shortcut errors. The last task, which has now lock the computer up, that I ran was to run an upgrade to windows xp professional. The problem I am having at this time is:
  I start the computer up HP comes on for a brief moment, then windows xp, and then setup is being restarted. After that the first error says, "winlogon.exe - Entry Point Not Found" . The message just below that has a big red x and says "The procedure entry point AssocIsDangerous could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll. when I click ok, a second one comes up as lsass.exe - Entry Point Not Found with the message "The procedure point AssocIsDangerous could not located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll. The last one that comes up is "services.exe - Entry Point Not Found" with the message The procedure entry point could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll. Once I get past that point setup continues untill I get another error that reads "Error loading shell32, The specified procedure could not be found". I click ok then the last error comes up and says "Fatal error, An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing. Setup was unable to initialize Network installation components. The specific error code is 2."
   After that it reboots and then restarts setup. This computer did not come with a OP sysetm restore disc, instead the system restore files were installed on the hard drive. I have successfully restored this computer to the factory settings that were installed when I purchased it at least one other time.  Now however i cannot get around this winxp-pro setup installation, is there any way to get around this or should I politely file the computer in the trash collection?
  The imformation I have on this computer is as follows: hp pavilion 511 w, hp pavilion 04, P7513ABA511w - model, x86 - based PC system type, x86 Family6 model11 stepping1, 6enuinelntel~Mhz. This was all the information I could get when it was working.  I would be very greatful if you can help me.
                                                                Thanks

GX1_Man

Re: problem with windows xp pro setup
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 02:21:53 PM »
What operating system? I doubt you need to trash it, but you may well need to buy a copy of Windows to reload your operating system correctly after formatting (erasing) the drive. You will need a windows disc sooner or latter. In your case it looks like sooner. Sorry. HP's solutions are very short sighted. Some people have been able to buy a Windows or a restore CD from them. You might want to check.

Do you have any critical files you need to remove first?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 07:27:51 PM by GX1_Man »

GX1_Man

Re: problem with windows xp pro setup
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 07:27:33 PM »
 Hey GX1_Man,
    I was afraid this would be the case, however I would like to know how to format the drive as it currently stands (unusable). If there is a way I could save my game files and reinstall them, although I think there is not, what I need to know is how to format the drive and would this erase the factory  installed OP that I used to rstore the OP system on an earlier crash. If this works there really is not any critical files that need to be rescued. I sincerly thank you for your information.
                                                                              Thanks  
                                                                                  pop12

You should attempt the total formamt wiping EVERYTHING from the drive and reinstalling, as this is the best HP has to offer. If you can boot to safe mode (F8 at start) you can backup data files from games if that's what you want, but the games themselves would have to be installed again. If this cannot be done, you can boot a Linux Live CD to save thte files to a floppy, CD, or across a network, to a pen drive, whatever. Then reboot with the HP disc and choose ethe destructive reload, or whatever they call it.

This will probably get you back up and running unless your restore partition has been damaged or infected.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 07:28:59 PM by GX1_Man »