Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: issues with running two xp's on one HD  (Read 7702 times)

ricky1me

issues with running two xp's on one HD
« on: August 30, 2004, 05:28:32 PM »
I have - with the great help of all that replied to my last messages - been able to get two xp systems on the same HD and go back and forth between the two to boot.

Question#1

When I boot from H:
(c: of course was the original system partition)

Partition Majic says that c: is "active" and I am unable to hide it when having booted from h:

However, Ms manage says that h: is "boot"

I want to hide c: when booted from h:

Question#2
When I attempt to install bootmajic it only gives me the option to install it on drive d: which I do not want to. I want to install it on c: system partition.

Thank you very much for your great help

Computer_Commando

Re: issues with running two xp's on one HD
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 11:17:48 AM »
Forget drive letters, they change when booting from one partition to the other.  Which ever one boots, is "C".  The others, you can define.

Lets call them Partition #1 and Partition #2.  Both must be Primary, not Logical Partitions.  Install BootMagic on #1.  You can then hide #1 from #2 (when you boot to #2, you can't see #1), but not #2 from #1.  Change the volume labels, so you'll know which one you're booted into, call #1 WINXP#1, call #2 WINXP#2.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 11:20:23 AM by Computer_Commando »

ricky1me

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 06:52:34 PM »
Hi,

When I use Partition Majic to copy a partition it only makes it an extended partition. Is an extended partition a logical partition?

I would use Image For Dos but it seems to only create an image compressed...

Thank you for your help

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 12:46:37 PM »
<<When I use Partition Majic to copy a partition it only makes it an extended partition. Is an extended partition a logical partition?>>

Yes.  Extended partition is a primary partition and it can contain many logical partitions.  Primary bootable partitions need to start within the 1024 cylinder boundary.

<<I would use Image For Dos but it seems to only create an image compressed>>

???

ricky1me

gRe: issues with running two xp's on one HD
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 05:37:46 PM »
Image for dos creates a compressed image. The size of the partition copied is much larger than the size of the image saved. If I made an image of the same size I could just make it active and boot from it...