Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP Crash (odd)  (Read 1830 times)

jwammes

Windows XP Crash (odd)
« on: June 12, 2006, 07:37:53 PM »
My computer one day began making straneg buzzing and clicking noises that were really loud and obnoxious. It seemed as though a lot of the time these noises were coupled by a slowing of the system and in rare cases even freezing. My suspicions were that the problem was the fan, but I am by no means an expert.
So, carrying on, my computer went through this process a few days ago and when it froze and i restarted, the system would not boot. By this I mean it got to the point of having the Windows XP logo with the green loading bar underneath, then went no further. Since I assumed the problem was the fan I allowed the computer some off time (about a day) to cool down. I atempted starting it again, and after a few tries, it got through the boot sequence. This is where it gets weird.
The system (as it appeared) had returned to stock XP mode with the default background and start menu settings. So I thought it had formatted itself or something along those lines. However, some of my old icons for example a few media players were still left on the desktop. So I continued my search through the program files and found that all of my old programs were still present and accounted for. I ran a test with my iTunes to see if all my files weer hiding somewhere as well, but there was nothing there. So I thought that it kept my programs and deleted my otehr files, but then I checked the space left in my C Drive and it was exactly teh same as before. To add to the mystery there was a file in my recycle bin from before the crash, adn when I restored it, it went to its exact former location. However, none of the other files were there along with it.
It is very imjportant that I figure this problem out as I had some necessary files on the old computer. Ifg anyone could help me that would be great. Thanks, Jeff.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 07:39:18 PM by jwammes »

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    Re: Windows XP Crash (odd)
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 04:39:06 AM »
    It sounds like your HDD is Crashing, and in that case youll need a new drive.

I would back up all your important Data
    then
    I would do a surface Scan on the HDD, and after a long time and noresult, i would trow out The HDD and buy a new one
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice