Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows genuine advantage notification  (Read 3115 times)

mrbecky1

windows genuine advantage notification
« on: June 13, 2006, 06:43:20 AM »
Can anyone please help a complete amateur? I cannot use Windows update anymore, because they say my copy of Windows xp could be a copy. I think this is so unfair, as the Windows xp was already installed when I bought my pc.
I have managed to get rid of the pop icon on the toollbar,but I can no longer get any more updates. Is there a way (in simple terms please),to enable winows to update.I cannot uninstall the windows genuine advantage notification.

Many thanks.
Alan

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: windows genuine advantage notification
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 07:36:39 AM »
Was the seller an individual or retailer?  If feasible, contact the seller about this.  Since you apparently do not have a legitimate copy of Windows, and if you can not resolve this isse with the seller, you'll need to get a valid license to resolve this problem of not being able to get updates, either by purchasing Windows from a legitimate seller, or by dealing directly with Microsoft.   Here's a Microsoft FAQ on validation.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 07:37:32 AM by soybean »

DrGT28

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 07:40:31 AM »
im not 100% sure on this, but i think the automatic updates still work even when genuine advantage is installed.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 08:49:21 AM »
A quote from the link in my previous post:
"Customers found to be using non-genuine versions of Windows will receive a message during logon that their copy of Windows appears to be non-genuine and will be directed to the WGA Web site to learn more. Users who choose not to obtain a copy of genuine Windows will receive periodic reminders. Regardless of genuine status, users will not be denied access to critical security updates. Users who have not validated their computers as genuine, however, will not be able to install many updates, including Internet Explorer 7.0 and Windows Defender."

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 04:46:37 PM »
For a lot of reasons it would be better to be legal if you are using XP or better. MS will continue to throw "gotchas" at you until you comply to their wishes.

It may be unfair, but it sounds like your copy is, indeed, illegal. Sorry.  ;)