Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 2000 GUI startup problem  (Read 4800 times)

nosbm

Windows 2000 GUI startup problem
« on: June 14, 2006, 10:21:41 AM »
Following the installation of a demo for some software the gui for Windows 2000 seems to have been corrupted.

After startup and login, both of which complete without error, all that is displayed is a blue screen and the mouse pointer. The mouse pointer can be moved around the screen and the screensaver eventually comes on but no other response is obtained. Also, the only keyboard response is to alt-ctrl-del. Access to the PC is possible only through safe mode with command prompt.

Any suggestions on how to repair the gui would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
nosbm

GX1_Man

Re: Windows 2000 GUI startup problem
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 01:24:23 PM »
What happened prior to this? Surely you have a clue for us. What software?

nosbm

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 03:28:18 AM »
Thank you for your response and my apologies for not responding before today.

It seems that for some reason the demo software that was installed has somehow prevented explorer.exe from starting normally with Windows. As far as I understand the situation explorer.exe should be one of the default processes running in Windows 2000, see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263201; explorer.exe provides the taskbar, desktop etc for the user. The difficulty now is that even if explorer.exe is run manually from Task Manager nothing happens.

Also, the various files that were part of the demo package have all been manually deleted from the command prompt, so I am reasonably sure that the demo package is no longer doing anything.

The question then is how to repair/replace the Windows 2000 GUI without having to reinstall Windows?

Best regards,
nosbm

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    « Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 03:33:40 AM »
    You could Do a windows System Repair

Its one of the options when you boot off an install disk, its when you chose wich partition to install on it also say press "R" to attempt a System Recovery

Ive not used this option Offten , i would prefair to Reinstall the Hole OS if i thought any Windows System Files might be Dammaged or Croupt

you could try useing the Recovery console and copying the files off the disk, but im not sure which files would fix the problem.

You could Lose Files doing any of these things, so be wary
    « Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 03:35:06 AM by panboy »
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

panboy

Adviser

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 02:35:51 AM »
      I’ve never said I was an Expert, and id rather not be so openly flamed. If you think that advice is bad what's your Opinion on on the problem?

Are you all Bark? Do you have any idea what you’re talking about?

And from the insults you are attempting against me you are making it known that you know allot less than I do.

So please if you are going to tell people my advice is bad maybe you could do it by posting Better advice rather than wasting time by showing off you inferiority Complex

panboy

Adviser

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 05:02:42 AM »
        Ah yes an eloquently worded retort, I must say sir you baffle me with you massive intellect, I must take my hat off to you as you have proven to me now that you are in fact the second coming, and I quiver in the presence of your aura that you so magnificently project so well trough your medium of text, truly I am in awe.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 05:01:29 PM »
        Careful Panboy. You are bordering on becoming what you were criticizing.

Your posts have become much better composed by the way. Very much more legible and coherent. I congratulate your effort.  ;)

nosbm

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 03:21:57 AM »
        Please note that this problem was finally resolved by upgrading the PC involved to Windows XP and the original demo software reinstalled. This demo package is now operational, so the problem would seem to have been some incompatability with Windows 2000.

Best regards,
        nosbm

panboy

Adviser

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 04:15:03 AM »
          That Can happen with Demos, Always use full versions :)