Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP SLOW Boot  (Read 2805 times)

Schmoyer334

Windows XP SLOW Boot
« on: June 13, 2006, 10:02:59 AM »
Before I get into anything I would like to thank anybody who offers me any help in advance, so thanks!

I bought my HP DV4000 Laptop in November, my freshman year at Penn State.  Pretty much got the best setup I could, Pentium M 2.13GHZ, 2GB DDR2 Ram, Fastest HD, all the good stuff.  For the first 6+ months it was booting in less than 30 seconds, like a champ!  Now its taking it over 2 minutes.  Everything is normal until it gets to my desktop...  It just stalls with the background image but with no start menu, etc.  If you go into the task manager, by hitting control + alt + delete, the computer waits at the 23rd process for well over a minute.  Then the 24th one appears...   AluSchedulerScv.exe  <--- From what I gather it has something to do with Norton...  After this process finally loads my next 35 process load very quickly... Around the 33rd process my start menu appears, etc.  Then in several seconds I'm fine.  I dont understand why its lagging sooo bad at this process now and never has before...  Is this process an update that I downloaded and thats when it started to do this?  Sometimes when I get online Norton blocks a Trogan from attacking my computer...  A little bubble comes up and tells me this.  But if I run Norton my computer is free of virus' and infections.  So this leads me to belive I'm ok.. Or is there a possibility this Trogan has infected AluSchedulerScv and thats why it takes foreverrrrrr for it to load?  Those are the only two things I can possibly think of.  I haven't installed/downloadned anything new when this started to occur, besides maybe an automatic update from Windows or Norton like I said before.  I'm just trying to figure out whats going on here... Once the computer boots, it runs fine.  Its just the initial startup that gets me, everytime.  Oh and before anybody says it, I know I have a lot of process booting from startup, 59 to be exact, BUT I always have and it always ran fine.  I know I could run MSCongif and stop certain things from booting which I dont need to speed things up a little bit, but this isnt about speeding things up by several seconds this is about figuring out why my start time is massive.  I just want the computer I spent over $2,000 on to work flawlessly.

Let's hear some thoughts, thanks again!

GX1_Man

Re: Windows XP SLOW Boot
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 04:44:33 PM »
You can check the running processes at startup, but perhaps spyware and other malware is causing problems. Apart from Norton what else are you using?

Schmoyer334

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 10:23:11 PM »
Nothing... Im not the biggest fan of loading my computer with a ton of crap. Especially when a lot of programs dont fully uninstall... they leave instances everywhere.  Got any recomendations for a GOOD program to help my situation?  Any helps appreciated, thanks!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 10:59:09 PM »
    Schmoyer334...... Well ,I would probably start by suggesting a good cleaning .
    I would D/L CCleaner ...... http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149834478 ..... once you have it installed , configure it as outlined .......   then run the cleaner portion ...... deleting anything it finds .
    Then run the issues feature and it will clean out some of the redundant registry entries . Now , on the chance there is a trojan in residence , go into control panel /system and turn off the system restore .
    The next thing would be to D/L and install Ewido.....  ( It's very good at removing trojans )  Get Ewido at ......  http://www.majorgeeks.com/Ewido_security_suite_d4677.html   once installed , make sure and update it and then do a full system scan.  Again deleting anything found .  It might also be a good idea to reboot into SAFE mode and run your AV just to be certain there are no viruses which may have somehow been overlooked .
    When your all finished ....reboot and see how the load time is .......  BTW , if you have 59 running processes and its loading in 2 minutes plus ...thats not bad .
    Are you absolutely certain about ...... AluSchedulerScv? ...... A google search for that turns up nothing .
    Let us know how you make out .

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 11:03:48 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 04:29:32 AM »

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
      « Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 07:06:00 AM »
      hmm 59 procesess.. im upset if i have 20

if you want you compute to run flawlessly not matter how much it costs you have to put some effort into it, any by the fact you said u dont unistall properly  , and that u let you computer have 59 on startup.... well i dont think youve been puting in the effort
      Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice