Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: power button disconnected?  (Read 2253 times)

turquoise

power button disconnected?
« on: June 13, 2006, 03:21:11 PM »
Hi i am fixing up my previous computer who powers box blew and ruined the motherboard.  I go a pentium 4 motherboard [no manual] which my cousin installed last night along with and a new power supply [only 250w]. we hooked up 2 hard drives and reformatted them windw xp last night. we couldn't figure where to plug in the power led and h.h.d led but got the power sw and the reset sw in the correct spot [i think]. anyway everything was working fine, i shut down the computer and now the next day, nothing happens. I push in the power button, no noises no nothing. On the mother board there is a small green light that is on, so i assume my power supply has't blown up again? I plugged it into different plugs around the house and unplugged the hard drives [only lines, not white band] one at time and tried the power, i pulled off the ram 2-256mb and plugged back in. nothing. any ideas?

GX1_Man

Re: power button disconnected?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 04:57:37 PM »
Do you have a real (better than 250w) power supply to test with? The green light does NOT mean that it is good, only connected. I would first recheck all connections, then try another PSU.

What computer/motherboard make/model? WHat other items are connected?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 04:57:54 PM by GX1_Man »

Dead_reckon

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 09:22:55 PM »
i owuld advise using a 350w PSU or better

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 01:13:09 PM »
I would advise a NAME BRAND power supply to prevent a recurrence. If you didn't spend at least $50 or so you will be back. Too many people try to save a few bucks on one of the more critical components of a system, and one that can ruin all the rest. Go figure.

turquoise

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 03:09:37 PM »
Hi, i want to thank everyone for helping out, as it turns out, i did have the power button plugged into the wrong spot, all works fine now. But i am going to take the advice to get a bigger power box. thank you. [smiley=dankk2.gif] [smiley=engel017.gif]

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 06:24:53 PM »
Glad you are all fixed up. Proper connections are a must, and unfortunately assumed by us, as we are not clairvoyant.  ;)