Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: previously OK image file now blank  (Read 2507 times)

steph717

previously OK image file now blank
« on: June 15, 2006, 01:11:45 PM »
I scanned a drawing I made, along with other drawings, a while back so that I could put them into a portfolio I have to make for my college.  They were all in .TIF format.  When I scanned them, I opened them all up to make sure they scanned OK, and they were, and then left them for a while on the hard drive of my laptop.  Eventually I went to put together the page of the portfolio that required this image, and something happened to the file.  In the folder, the other scanned TIFs had thumbnail images while this one didn't, and the file size was 0 kb.  I tried opening it (probably with Adobe Photoshop or MS Paint), and it was a blank white image and wasn't even the same size as the original.  I assumed the file was corrupted and that I had lost it for good, and decided to just forget about it.

A few days ago, I was cleaning my laptop's hard drive, organizing things to be backed up to CDs, when I came across another copy of the same image.  And with my luck, it actually opened.  I put it in the same folder with other related stuff to be backed up and within an hour backed everything up to two CDs.  There were additional copies of this image in other folders (I have no idea why I put it in multiple folders at the time), but I deleted those and the old one that didn't work.

A couple hours later, I was again working on the portfolio and needed that image.  I try to open it up, and the same problems occur: no thumbnail image, no file size, and a blank white image when it opened.  I feared the worst and tried to open the backed up files on the CDs, and faced the same problem.

I tried using a demo for a program called PixRecovery 1.0, and I get the message "No data to recover detected" and the suggestion to try sending the file to their company to pay more to recover the data.  I am now trying to use R-Studio Data Recovery 3 to try to undelete the other copies to see if those are also having the same problem, but I can't seem to find the deleted files with this program (not sure if I'm using the program correctly, or if they just got overwritten within the past day).

Is there anything I can do to fix the files I have, either on the hard drive or the CDs?  Is there a chance that any undeleted files would be helpful if I did find them, or would they probably have the same problem as the other files?  Any information would be helpful, even if it is just to tell me that the files are lost and that I should give up.

Additional information:  I use Windows XP on a Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop that is probably about a year and a half old.  It has a 2.20 GHz Intel Celeron processor.  I'm not sure about the rest of the hardware (I'm not the most computer saavy person), but if you need any other information, feel free to ask.  Thanks ahead of time for the help.

GX1_Man

Re: previously OK image file now blank
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 06:14:21 PM »
Let's make sure the computer is clean. What are you using for malware protection.? Have a read here:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149948530

What else is the computer doing strangely? What operating system? Details are needed to help with a fix.  ;)

steph717

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 06:42:51 AM »
I have Windows XP and I use Adaware for spyware, ZoneAlarm for my firewall, and AVG Free for my virus scan.  The laptop came with a 6 month subscription to McAfee before I started using AVG.  I scan it every weekend and update everything when it needs to be updated.  

I was having a problem opening files a while back because Windows said the file changed and it couldn't access it or something, but then I somehow resolved that (sorry, can't quite remember details).  Besides that, I haven't really had any problems with it.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 07:02:48 AM »
What program are you using to create the images in the first place?  You scanner's own software?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

steph717

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 08:07:32 AM »
What program are you using to create the images in the first place?  You scanner's own software?

Yes.  The scanner is a Savin 2400WD, and it's my boss's.  It does have its own software and that's what I used.  It only scans in TIFs which is why it was a TIF in the first place.  I scanned the problematic drawing and three others of the same size, saved them to my boss's computer with the scanning software installed, and then transferred them to my laptop through the network.  The other three files are fine and I haven't had any problems with those, it just so happens that the one drawing I really liked from the set is the one that's not working.  :P

Also, I threw the drawings away once I scanned them.  Not smart of me, but I've definitely learned not to toss them until I have the files backed up.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 08:58:15 AM »
Something may well have gone wrong when you did the transfer over the network.  Did you check them all on the recipient machine at that time?

steph717

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 01:54:44 PM »
No, I didn't think to open them there, and I removed them from my boss's computer when I put them on mine so they aren't there anymore either.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 02:44:40 PM »
In that case, I'm afraid the most likely cause of this problem is an incomplete copy from your boss's computer.  Is there a chance that the deleted files are in the recycle bin on his/her PC?

steph717

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 08:16:42 PM »
I doubt they'd be in the recycle bin, but I do have good news.  It seems that the Savin printer saves a copy of every scan file in a folder, and I found the file I needed in the folder.  I've transferred this one over the network onto my computer, and so far everything seems to be fine.  And this time I'm leaving the copy on the original computer, just in case.  :)  If anyone has any information on the problem, I'd still be curious about what happened so I can avoid the problem later.  Thanks for all your help guys.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 01:29:09 AM »
It could be something as simple as flaky network hardware.  Simple rule of thumb: verify before delete.  :)