Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook 2003-Email remains in Outbox  (Read 2852 times)

castelon

Outlook 2003-Email remains in Outbox
« on: June 16, 2006, 12:03:58 PM »
I have a database program that generates a report, in the form of a ".trn" file, and attempts to send the file to someone via an Outlook 2003 email. The email appears in the Outbox, but when Outlook attempts to send it out, email is opened and the program that generated the email is closed by the operating system (Windows XP Professional). Windows presents the familiar warning message that says that Windows has encountered an error with a program's executable file and has to close it. The email continues to sit in the Oubox with the open envelope icon.
The application log in Event Viewer has a record of the error, but it does not contain any specific information.
I never see a window telling me that an application is trying to access Outlook and asking me if I want to allow this.
The Outlook settings, as far as I know, are all default settings.
We use Exchange 2003.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Outlook 2003-Email remains in Outbox
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 02:57:32 PM »
Have you tried zipping thefile before mailing?  (Hypothesising that there's a problem with Exchange's attachment sanitisation facility.)
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

castelon

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 02:17:33 PM »
Thanks for your help, robpomeroy! This program does not offer an option to zip the file before attaching it to an email. More info: If I copy the file that appears in the email in the outbox and attach it to a new email, I can send this email out without a problem. The problem occurs when the database program tries to send out an email with the file attached.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 01:18:56 AM »
Okay - the issue is with the DDE link between the "parent" program and Outlook.  Possibly reinstalling both programs would help, but it might be caused by a more fundamental problem than that - version conflict or bad programming.  Recommend you simply email saved files rather than emailing via the "parent" program.

castelon

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 07:45:57 AM »
I can do that. Is it possible that Outlook has a security setting that is preventing another program from sending email through it? I'm not getting a message from Outlook about this, though, like I would expect.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 08:45:47 AM »
If this were caused by a security setting, you should receive a security error - not a crash report.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 08:55:48 AM »
Do you absolutely need to send the file in the .trn format?  Does the recipient(s) need to have the same program to view the report?  Are they going to just view the report, or are they supposed to import the file into their software?  Does your software give you the option of saving that report in a different format?  

castelon

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 09:12:26 AM »
Soybean, thanks for your help! The file probably has to be in this format. I'm pretty sure that the recipient uses the same program to import the report. I don't know of a way to save the report in a different format. I think that I will just save the file to my desktop, create an email on my own, attach the document from the desktop, and send it that way. I know that this way will work-I've done it before. This all involves extra steps, though, but no big deal. Thank-you both for your help!