Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer reboots on shutdown...and reboots, and...  (Read 2808 times)

charliebrown

Computer reboots on shutdown...and reboots, and...
« on: June 16, 2006, 12:58:18 PM »
Happy Friday...well, mostly.  My computer has started rebooting continually when I do a proper shutdown in Windows 2000 Professional.  I can hold the power button in for about 5 secinds and get it to finally power off.  It's a Compaq Evo D500...when will I learn? :-[

Any ideas?  Thank you in advance.

Here's the system:
EVO D500 Tower
Pentium 4 @ 1.8 ghz
256 ram
40 gb HD

Windows 2000 Professional

GX1_Man

Re: Computer reboots on shutdown...and reboots, an
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 02:44:39 PM »
Windows can either reboot in case of a failure of write an error message which can be helpful.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315409&sd=tech

<-------------

What happened prior to this? Any other known problems with the machine, or it has been a workhorse until this?

charliebrown

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 03:31:22 PM »
I've just started using it as a stand-alone PC...prior to that it was on a network.  No problems loading operating system and software.  I did have to enable ports for printing.  One thing that was added before this started happening was a Rockwell 56k modem just as a backup communication device.  Not essential if it may cause a problem, although Windows did recognize it and install the correct driver, etc.
Very strange...wondering if there is anything in CMOS I have overlooked or if power options settings might be confusing the shutdown command?

As a working computer, it's great...just this constant rebooting issue that's annoying.
Thank you for the Microsoft link...I'll check the recommendations they have also.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 03:32:45 PM by charliebrown »

charliebrown

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 08:58:31 PM »
Windows can either reboot in case of a failure of write an error message which can be helpful.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315409&sd=tech

<-------------

What happened prior to this? Any other known problems with the machine, or it has been a workhorse until this?

;)Thanks much for your link...turned out to be the modem that was the culprit...it conflicted with power options for some very strange reason. Pulled the card out, uninstalled the driver and it works perfectly.  

Thanks again! ;D

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 06:30:46 AM »
Thanks for posting back. I'm glad you are all fixed up.  ;)