Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: port forwarding problem  (Read 2988 times)

whitewolf33

port forwarding problem
« on: June 16, 2006, 06:18:08 PM »
Hi everyone,
                    i am trrying to host a site from my home computer . But i am facing a problem which i do not understand. I have a D Link router at home and my actual Ip is different from the IP that is acuired by the router. I tried to register my system IP address at www.dyndns.com and it took the IP of my sytem automatically(203.blah. blah.blah) and got a url name for my site . but when i tried to port forward in my router settings , i could not enter the IP (203.blah .blah) instead i had to enter the Ip given by router(10.blah.b.a). I m so confused how to get this port forwarding to work

i used apache to configurwe the port address and everything with it is fine . I only have problems with port forwarding . dunno which IP address to mention in both www.dyndns.com and in my router port forwarding settings. can anyone plz help me out with this?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: port forwarding problem
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 01:08:37 AM »
Your router has two IP addresses.  The external one (provided by your ISP) and the internal one (which theoretically only you ever know).

Port forwarding works to send certain requests (to a certain port) from outside the network to a certain IP address within your network.  So, say you had a web server on your network, internal address 10.0.0.7, you would need to forward incoming requests to port 80, to this IP address.  And that's basically it.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos