Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desktop ~  IE Site address bar pops up  (Read 3010 times)

rover78

Desktop ~  IE Site address bar pops up
« on: June 17, 2006, 07:33:01 PM »

For a long time I used to click on my desktop icons and straight to the Sites. Now every time I click on ANY icon I get an IE address bar that pops up on my screen. First it shows the full URL then it changes and shows the name of the Site plus Microsoft. This happens also when I right click on the icon and then select OPEN, the same thing happens.

Also, the same happens when I receive an email that has a URL in it. The IE address bar pops up and I need to double click in the bar to go to the Site.

I tried right click on the icon, then go to properties and type in the URL for any required site. Same thing happens.

I can live with this but it is annoying for it never used to be like that.
I am on Win. 98.

I have been changing a few things and I'm thinking I must have altered some settings in IE somewhere.

Any suggestions. Please.

GX1_Man

Re: Desktop ~  IE Site address bar pops up
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 09:10:33 PM »
You didn't mention any kind of malware protection. If the system is not clean all bets are off.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149948530

If everything is fine try this;

1. Start  
2. Settings  
3. Control Panel  
4. Internet Options  
5. Security tab  
6. Reset all 4 security zones to Default  

1. Start  
2. Settings  
3. Control Panel  
4. Internet Options
5. Privacy
6. Restore 1 Default button

1. Start  
2. Settings  
3. Control Panel  
4. Internet Options  
5. Advanced  
6. Restore 1 Default button

You may need to do the following as well  

1. Start  
2. Settings  
3. Control Panel  
4. Internet Options  
5. General tab  
6. Remove cookies, temporary files and history  

Kudos to Raptor and Fed.

rover78

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 12:19:48 AM »
Hi GX1_Man

Thanks for your help

I have tried all your directions but its still the same.

I have McAffee Firewall and Ad-Aware and SpybotSD although not quite happy with McAffee. SpybotSD was only downloaded recently to get rid of this nasty MIRAR search engine.

After I carried out your directions and no change took place I did a SppyBotSD scan and cleared away EVERY problem item that was listed. Left nothing. Restarted my puter many times and this IE addy bar is STILL popping up on my desktop.  

I believe its a Microsoft thingy that was added without me knowing.

Shall keep trying. Thanks

rover78

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 01:40:40 AM »
Hi

PROBLEM FIXED !

Now your'e gonna laugh. OK. I can now laugh too.

As I explained. Every time I clicked on a desktop icon I was getting an IE bar popping up on my desktop. This was first showing the full URL then it changes to showing the name of the Site. I had to double click on this bar to enter the Site

This IE addy bar looked exactly like any other addy bar or tool bar that we get on the screen. I did learn that I could move it about and narrow it or expand it.

Today, while trying to move it / drag it down, I started enlarging this bar into a normal window. After a while, I stetched the full width of the screen and up and down too.
Here I was starting to wake up. I just click on ENTER and the page was set and problem fixed.

That was easy dont you think. Whats been happening was that when I clicked on the icon the Site page was coming up OK but only the address was showing or can I say again, popping up in this IE bar.

Thanks.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 04:05:22 PM »
I'm glad you are all fixed up for you and thanks for posting back. Sometimes solutions can be so simple.  ;)