Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot Flash BIOS or save BIOS?  (Read 2027 times)

kimaya

Cannot Flash BIOS or save BIOS?
« on: June 18, 2006, 01:54:57 PM »
gigabyte k8triton nsc -939
amd 64 3000+
1g ram (2 512 matching sticks)
sata2 wd hd
nvdea 5200

Computer was previously working with unstable performance prior to making some changes in bios (boot order)

I am having some trouble with a cmos error....

everytime I try to save defaults or make changes and save in the BIOS it locks up/doesnt reboot. I must then clear the cmos to be able to get the computer to POST. It POSTS very very slow, does not finish posting, often locking up during the post. Sometimes I am able to go into the BIOS during POST, but unable to save changes.

I tried flashing the BIOS with the new version, and when it gets to the part about loading the BIOS file it freezes.

Any ideas? Is the battery bad, a circuit on the board? Is changing the battery a hard process (the re-entering cmos/bios values has me worried).

Thanks!

GX1_Man

Re: Cannot Flash BIOS or save BIOS?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 03:57:50 PM »
Changing the battery is safe and easy. A poorly  done BIOS upgrade can turn your computer into a doorstop.

So try changing the battery and see what happens. failing to hold setting and not keeping time correctly is a symptom of a bad battery, but it can be caused by other things.

Out of curiosity why did you attempt a BIOS flash? How old is the machine? Did it ever work correctly?