Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Moving Data  (Read 1852 times)

seedless

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Moving Data
    « on: June 19, 2006, 09:22:57 AM »
    Hey guys good morning or good afternoone I was wondering if someone could give me sum advice on how to move all my data off my old hard drive that has windows on it and move it into a new one.
    Now I would do it manually, but the problem is that the computer the hard drive goes with crashed it’s a old comp so I don’t rely mind for fixing it. I jest got me a new one from fry’s. The hard drive that I removed from my old computer was not old it’s a WD 80 gig, now I was thinking of using a live CD so I can recover my data off the hard drive when I install it on my new Comp, I don’t know if that would work if anyone has sum better advice I would greatly appreciate it.
    « Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 09:27:55 AM by seedless »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Moving Data
    « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 09:36:54 AM »
    Can you not simply install it as a slave drive, when your new PC is up and running?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

seedless

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 09:40:14 AM »
      ok so once i have XP installed on my new computer i should make my WD 80 GIG a slave and then boot into windows and would show up? would that work even tough  the 80GIG has a OS on it wouldn’t it conflict with one and another?

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
        « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 09:45:07 AM »
        If you make sure that your old drive is set to slave , and your bios is set to boot off the primary drive you should have not problem.

And that is problerly what its set to by default , so dont worry to much
        Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice