Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Defender Error; WHAT floppy disc?!  (Read 3593 times)

rlprlp

Windows Defender Error; WHAT floppy disc?!
« on: June 20, 2006, 06:26:20 AM »
I am a new Computer Hope user who had a problem quite some time before I found this site. I searched Microsoft Help to no avail. Iwill give all the details that I can recall. When Microsoft switched from "Microsoft Antispyware" to "Windows Defender", I upgraded with no problem. Then one day, I received some sort of message that the program could not locate, or read (I don't recall for sure) some floppy disc. WHAT floppy disc?! One user who submitted a post on a Microsoft forum wrote that he just gave up and went back to the original Microsoft Antispyware, so I did, too. I attempted to upgrade 2 or 3 more times about once a week, and kept getting the same "floppy disc error", gave up, and have just stuck with the first version ever since.  However, the first version is going to expire soon, and I'll have no choice but to find a fix or just delete the whole thing. I use several spyware programs, but really liked Windows Defender (when it worked), so does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thank you to all.    UPDATE: I'm sorry, I completely overlooked an important fact when I wrote this this morning: I have Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 04:39:07 PM by rlprlp »

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    Re: Windows Defender Error; WHAT floppy disc?!
    « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 08:52:13 AM »
    Is it perhaps that windows Defender is trying to Scan your Floppy for virus's and theres no floppy in the drive?
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

rlprlp

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 04:45:28 PM »
    My best educated guess is that I would have to say no.  You see, I don't even have a floppy drive.  Just 1 DVD/CD drive.  Good point, though.  I probably should have mentioned that in my first post.  

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 07:31:48 PM »
    Does this lock up the system or just give you a warning about this that is of no consequence?

rlprlp

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 06:29:48 PM »
    I hope I can say this without offending anyone. I really do appreciate all the attempts to help.  But this really isn't that big of a deal to me.  I have 3 other anti-spy programs.  I was just taking a shot that someone who had experienced the same problem (it has happened to others) knew how to fix it. I really don't want to get into any lengthy Q,A,Q,A,etc.  Again, thank you to all!!!

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 06:38:41 PM »
    OK, see you later.