Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Pavilion ZD 7140 - waterlogged  (Read 2093 times)

Briguy

HP Pavilion ZD 7140 - waterlogged
« on: June 21, 2006, 11:43:17 AM »
My laptop was baptised (water only) by my 2 year old - with the cover closed, and computer off.

I dumped out and dried out the laptop, removed the hard drive, back covers, and cleaned it out.  After about 24 hours, I booted it up, and it worked pretty well, aside from an intermittent issue with the internal wireless card (which was cleared up by rebooting any time the wireless was off).

However, after a week of working okay, it's gone back to bed.  The computer itself turns on - power lights, caps lock, CD tray opens, but the HD light doesn't come on, and I get absolutely no boot up/bios info on the screen.  (this same type of problem exhibited itself after about 8 hours of drying initially).

I have removed the HD and reset, reset the ram modules, but I am at a loss as to where to turn next for troubleshooting, and especially why after a week of working well, it's gone back to not working.

Incidentally, pressing the power button does not take the machine into hibernation - which would indicate (to me) that indeed, it's not a display issue, and the computer is not even getting around to loading the bios.

I've admitted defeat - any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian

GX1_Man

Re: HP Pavilion ZD 7140 - waterlogged
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 12:48:05 PM »
It's a rare computer that would be worthy of keeping after a dip like that. As there really are no user serviceable parts inside, I would toss it and chalk it up to experience. You're lucky it went on that long. You gave it your best shot.  :'(
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 12:50:09 PM by GX1_Man »

Briguy

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 01:07:04 PM »
Perhaps I made that too dramatic?  He dumped a glass of water over the top - he didn't dump it in the tub.  Either way, I might have to take the cost of repair/new computer out of his college fund ;)

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 04:37:24 PM »
Oh, he's 2. Give him a break!

Seriously, a water immersion, even a small one, is quite a serious thing to electronics components.  You just can't dry it off quick enough.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 11:37:13 AM »
You'll doubtless find some sucker repair technician who'll buy it off you on eBay, in its non-working state.  ;)
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos